From: Mark Interrante
Subject: Comparison BTW Franz/Lucid
I am developing some code on Sun Commonlisp (which I just found out is
discontinued)  and need t otherefore port to the code to another product.
The code makes use of the lightwieght threads facility in SunCL and I
would like the new environment to support a similar flavor of threads.

This has already been discussed, what is the net wisdom about the relative
merits between Franz and Lucid? I will summarize if there are enough

Mark Interrante

From: Bill York
Subject: Re: Comparison BTW Franz/Lucid

   From: ··@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Mark Interrante)
   Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1992 10:05:25 GMT

   I am developing some code on Sun Commonlisp (which I just found out is
   discontinued)  and need t otherefore port to the code to another product.
   The code makes use of the lightwieght threads facility in SunCL and I
   would like the new environment to support a similar flavor of threads.

Well, since Sun Common Lisp IS Lucid Common Lisp, I think that your
compatibility problems will most easily be handled by Lucid :-)

Seriously, Lucid now does direct distribution and support of Lisp on
the Sun platforms.

   This has already been discussed, what is the net wisdom about the relative
   merits between Franz and Lucid? I will summarize if there are enough

I disqualify myself on the grounds of bias.
From: Clinton Hyde
I'm a 'happy' user of Franz Inc's Allegro CL and CLIM. I use it with
Epoch, because you get better X11 integration, and far more mouse
control & behavior.

I've noticed that binaries can be 4x larger than source files. the
speed on a Sparc 2 is quite respectable. lightweight threaded
multiprocessing works pretty well, but Lisp can get locked into
something that you can't break out of (mapcar #'some-fn
'circular-list) [i've gotten caught with this twice], and the only
solution is to shut down lisp completely, via some other window. (in
epoch, I just kill the buffer and it's gone)

I haven't figured out how to get it to read special keys (f1-12,
l11-10, r1-15, help) on the keyboard. i run under Motif, but it's not
Motif's fault (i think).

Allegro CL has some good extensions, good CLOS support, conditions,
andthat sort of thing. it appears to be a very complete implmentation
of CLtL2, which I what I want. I like CLIM better than XCW, but not as
well as the LispM window system.

It ain't a Lisp Machine, however. I've not spent any time with Lucid
CL, so I can't make a comparison.

we are getting another license, and doing more with it, so obviously
it's meeting our needs...

 -- clint
--

Clint Hyde		"Give me a LispM or give me death!" -- anonymous

Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  ·····@chesapeake.ads.com
2111 Wilson Blvd #800
Arlington, VA 22201		(703) 875-0327