From: ken yip
Subject: Symbolics Ivory LISP processor
Does anyone know what happens to the Ivory?  Are people using
it at all?

I'd like to know more about the processor.  The only reference
I have is the short article in ICCD 87.  Is there a longer article on this?
Does Symbolics or anyone else publish benchmarks on this?

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Symbolics Ivory LISP processor
In article <····················@cs.yale.edu> Ken Yip writes:

>Does anyone know what happens to the Ivory?  Are people using
>it at all?

Symbolics has several products based on it:
	XL1200: A standalone LISP machine
	MacIvory III: Embedded in a Mac II
	UX1200: Embedded in a VME-bus Sun
	NXP1000: Attached to an X-based display over ethernet

Benchmarks can be misleading, but I did see a couple published last year
or so, I believe from some NASA and/or MIT folks. I won't hazard an
ill-informed summary here: maybe someone still has them? In our applications,
we find an XL1200 *very* roughly equivalent to a moderately loaded Sparc2
with Lucid. With the new RISC processors, people are clearly not buying
Symbolics for execution speed. But many people, myself included, still
find the development environment very productive.

					- Marty
(setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)
From: Bill Davis
In article <·····················@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> ····@aplcen (Marty Hall) writes:

>In article <····················@cs.yale.edu> Ken Yip writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know what happens to the Ivory?  Are people using
>>it at all?
>
>Symbolics has several products based on it:
>	XL1200: A standalone LISP machine
>	MacIvory III: Embedded in a Mac II
>	UX1200: Embedded in a VME-bus Sun
>	NXP1000: Attached to an X-based display over ethernet

>In our applications,
>we find an XL1200 *very* roughly equivalent to a moderately loaded Sparc2
>with Lucid.  ...

We have UX1200 boards added to a Sun 490 server, and run the Symbolics'
on our Sparc2's using X windows.  Given our network, this allows us to
operate the Symbolics from any workstation on our research campus.
It works quite nicely and, as Mr. Hall indicated, is a great development
environment.  Perhaps this is similar to the Mac vs. PC debate in which
some folks claim that, regardless of which box has the bigger CPU horsepower,
they prefer the Mac "environment" :-)

--
Bill Davis                      ······@trc.amoco.com
Amoco Production Research       (918) 660-4129