From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Finding the file extensions for LISP source and object files?
In article <·····················@umbc3.umbc.edu> ········@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs106241) writes:
>Is there a CLtL/1 way to find out the file extension for a source file
>(eg "lisp" or "LISP") or an object file ("fas, "fasl", etc)? Using the
>CLtL/2 version, I think I could find out the extension for lisp files
>by using make-pathname with the new :case keyword. But even there I
>cannot figure out how to figure out what the object file's extension will

No, CLtL1 doesn't provide any way to do this.  As someone else pointed out,
:CASE has nothing to do with this, either.

CLtL2 does, however, provide a way to do it when you're using logical
pathnames; a logical pathname with the type "LISP" is required to translate
to a physical pathname with the appropriate source file type.

For the object file, you can use the CLtL2 function COMPILED-FILE-PATHNAME.