From: Harley Davis
Subject: Re: Lelisp -> Common Lisp
In article <····················@cenaath.cena.dgac.fr> ·····@cenaath.cena.dgac.fr (Christophe MERTZ (CR2A)) writes:

   (Gilles Fouque) writes:

     I am looking for information in order to translate Lelisp
     programs (lisp implementation created by the INRIA and
     commercialized by ILOG company, France) into Common-Lisp
     programs. I do not think that any translator exists but maybe
     someone knows something about the difficulties and the traps of
     this translation.

   I know that ILOG is working on a translator from le_lisp V15 to
   Le_lisp V16.  Le_lisp V16 will be very near from common lisp.

   For more informations e-mail to ··········@ilog.fr

I am the author of the above-mentioned translator.  It does a fairly
good job on Le-Lisp v.15 to v.16, but would not help someone
translating to CommonLisp for a variety of reasons, not least of which
is that it is bundled with sales of Le-Lisp v. 16.

Le-Lisp v.16 is close to CommonLisp in the following ways:

 * It is lexically scoped with closures.
 * It is special-form based, and the set of special forms has a large
   intersection with those of CommonLisp.
 * It has a CLOS-like object system with a metaobject protocol.
 * The lambda-list syntax is like CommonLisp's.

However, Le-Lisp v.16's package system is rather different.  Instead
of using packages for both namespace division and modularity, Le-Lisp
v.16 uses packages purely for namespaces, and has modules for
modularity.  Also, the libraries are largely those of Le-Lisp v.15
rather than those of CommonLisp.

In general, the biggest problems in true source-to-source translations
of Lisp dialects arise from macros.

-- Harley Davis
nom: Harley Davis			ILOG S.A.
net: ·····@ilog.fr			2 Avenue Gallie'ni, BP 85
tel: (33 1) 46 63 66 66			94253 Gentilly Cedex, France