From: ···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: CMU cl for sunos/ultrix
    From: ···@ifi.uio.no (Bj|rn Remseth)
    1)  Is CMU common lisp publicly available for SUNOS or ULTRIX?
    2)  If so, where can I get it?

We plan to announce an "open beta test" of CMU Common Lisp for Sparc/Sunos
machines within a few weeks -- as soon as we've completed a bit more
testing and are set up to provide decent, if informal, support.  Watch
comp.lang.lisp for an announcement and instructions on how to get the
system.

By "open beta test", we mean that the system and sources will be available
to anyone by anonymous FTP, but we do not yet recommend using this version
for serious work with serious deadlines.  If you ignore this warning and
get held up by a bug, we won't be terribly sympathetic.  After some period
of external use, we'll drop the warning and call it a release, though the
system, being free and public domain, will still be without any warranty.

We have been running for some time on the MIPS-processor Decstations under
the Mach operating system, and we have verified that we also run on
Decstations under OSF/1, which has Mach internals.  We have considered
porting to Ultrix, but this would be a big hassle since this bsd-based
system lacks some of the virtual memory mechanisms we use under Mach.  We
believe that some future Ultrix release will be built on top of OSF/1, at
which point our current Decstation system should run without modification.
Since DEC has shown no particular interest in getting CMU CL running on
their machines, we've decided just to wait for this future OS release
rather than porting CMU CL to the current Ultrix.

Scott Fahlman
CMU Common Lisp Project