From: EricWang
Subject: Request for Common Lisp-X Windows interfaces
I am interested in writing some X Windows applications.  Naturally, I
would rather program in Common Lisp than in C++.  My application can be
either very rudimentary, or very fancy, depending on the capabilities of
whatever I find.  At a minimum, I must be able to display text
characters in color and use the mouse (e.g. roughly the demands of a
screen editor).
    What packages/modules exist to give a Common Lisp programmer access
to X Windows?  I know of CLX, and have access to it, but its doc says
that it's only a low-level interface, and that higher-level interfaces
such as CLUE are built on top of it.  So what's CLUE?  etc.

Eric Wang
E Deplorable Programmus: "Any software can be rewritten!"
····@cs.uiuc.edu

From: Simon Leinen
Subject: Re: Request for Common Lisp-X Windows interfaces
CLUE is a window toolkit on top of CLX and CLOS much in the spirit of
the Xt toolkit that is very common in the C/X11 world.

It has been developed by Texas Instruments and can be FTPed
anonymously from TI.COM.  Note that the latest release is more than
one year old.  It contains the CLIO contact set (widget set in Xt
parlance) which adheres to the Open Look look&feel.

-r--r--r--  1 4        1         1500111 Aug  1  1990 /pub/clue.tar.Z

CLUE is a very nice concept, but the implementation lacks much of the
functionality that has been added to the C Xtoolkit in recent years.

Harlequin uses CLUE as the basis of their Common Lisp program
development system.
--
Simon Leinen.
Laboratoire d'Intelligence Artificielle
From: Jay Nelson
The X distribution tape from MIT includes CLM (Common LISP to MOTIF).
This software includes a C process for maintaining the X window calls,
and uses sockets to connect multiple LISP processes.  The MOTIF calls
are then accessible as Common LISP functions.

--
Jay Nelson  (TRW)  ···@wilbur.coyote.trw.com