From: Erik Eilerts
Subject: X-Windows, C, and Lisp
       I've been loading in the C versions of the Xt and Xaw X-Window
libraries through Lucid's foreign function interface on a DecStation.
This seems to work ok.  The problem that I've run across is that any
time I draw something on the screen or popup a menu, nothing appears
until I move the mouse.  It seems like all output is held until a
mouse event comes in, which causes the output buffer to be flushed.
       I was wondering if anyone else had run across this problem
(that is if you've been crazy enough to try to load the X-Window
libraries through the foreign function interface :-) ).

      Thanks,

        Erik Eilerts
        University of Texas at Austin
        ·······@cs.utexas.edu
From: John Sybalsky
Subject: Re: X-Windows, C, and Lisp
In article <············@sage.cs.utexas.edu> ·······@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts)
is having trouble getting X to display what he wants in "real time".

The problem is that X buffers your requests; only polling for events or calls to
XFlush force them out.

Ergo, call XFlush(<display>) at strategic points to force X to display what
you've requested....

--
--John
Venue