From: Hany Tolba
Subject: A new user of CMU Clisp help needed?
Hello,
	May I am asking a naive question but I should do
We are thinking to buy an Hp machine of the serie 700
more precisely 72. We wonder if the CMU Clisp can
run over such a machine or are we obliged to buy
there Clisp licence. Another question If CNU Clisp
do not run over such machines are there any PD common
lisp exist and have the same performance of CMU lisp?

I thank you in advance for answering my questions
Please e-mail your answers to ·····@loria.crin.fr

Thanx

From: Rob MacLachlan
Subject: Re: A new user of CMU Clisp help needed?
In article <····@loria.crin.fr> ·····@loria.crin.fr (Hany Tolba) writes:
>	May I am asking a naive question but I should do
>We are thinking to buy an Hp machine of the serie 700
>more precisely 72. We wonder if the CMU Clisp can
>run over such a machine
We do plan to run on the new HPPA (Snake) machines, and a port is underway, but
it probably won't be available for six months at least.

>Another question If CMU Clisp
>do not run over such machines are there any PD common
>lisp exist
KCL is the most widely available free Common Lisp implementation.  Now that the
Utah Common Lisp project ended, CMU CL and KCL are probably the only options.
KCL and CMU CL are not very comparable.  KCL is small, simple and highly
portable.  CMU CL is large and featureful with a sophisticated native-code
compiler.

Depending on your application (and the quality of your C compiler) KCL may
perform as well as a native Lisp, or may be 3 or more times slower.

  Robert MacLachlan (···@cs.cmu.edu)
From: Christopher M. Whatley
In article <·······················@cs.cmu.edu> ····@cs.cmu.edu (Rob MacLachlan) writes:

   KCL and CMU CL are not very comparable.  KCL is small, simple and highly
   portable.  CMU CL is large and featureful with a sophisticated native-code
   compiler.

   Depending on your application (and the quality of your C compiler) KCL may
   perform as well as a native Lisp, or may be 3 or more times slower.

One should say that AKCL will perform about the same or better. Only 1
or 2 of the gabriel set run slower than Lucid 3 (don't know about
version 4 yet) or ACL 3 and the current CMUCL which lacks instruction
scheduling for the Sparc is mostly slower than AKCL. Don't get me
wrong, I am not knocking CMU CL. from my limited experience with it so
far, it is a wounderful environment.

Why would anyone want to use KCL anymore when AKCL exists and is
supported on so many platforms including the hp snakes?

FYI, AKCL is available by anonymous ftp from rascal.ics.utexas.edu in
/pub.

--
	 Chris Whatley - The UNIX Guy - UT-Austin Mathematics
     E-mail: ·····@{math,emx,cs}.utexas.edu, ·····@gnu.ai.mit.edu

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle, nor the personal contents
thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal
contents thereof come to harm."
					-- The Repo Code