From: ยทยทยท@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Beta release of SunOS/SPARC CMU Common Lisp
    Are there any plans to produce a version of CMU Common Lisp for the
    (mach-based) NeXT? Since NeXT stopped bundling ACL, a lot of
    individual NeXT users (the sort of people for whom a free system like
    CMU-CL is most important) have found themselves cut off.

We have no current plans to port CMU CL to the Next machines.  We just
don't have very many Next machines around our part of CMU, and Next has
never shown any interest in helping to support such a port with funding or
hardware.  So the Next machine is a lower priority for us than several
other machines that we now have (or believe that we someday will have) in
greater numbers.

If someone else wanted to attempt such a port, we would cooperate and
answer questions, but such a port would be a big job because we have never
done a version for the 68K instruction set.  The 68K has a fair number of
quirks and complexities compared to the RISC processors we have dealt with
so far.  Since Next runs Mach, the operating system and virtual memory
structure would present us with no special problems, but that's a smaller
issue than the instruction set.

Scott Fahlman (Fearless Leader)
CMU Common Lisp Group