From: Joe Konstan
Subject: What we need is another standard ;-)
Recent attendance at LUV and communication with other people in the Lisp
community has convinved me that there are disagreements in Lisp larger
than Lexical (or Static) vs. Dynamic Scoping, what declarations a compiler
should see, or even if anybody is ever going to have a use for
generic-labels or generic-flet.  That's right, I'm talking about
problems down in the core of CLOS and CLIM.

We can't even agree on a pronunciation.

Now some people say See-LIM and others say KLIM, while some people
say See-Loss and others Klahs, neither of which is close.

In response, I must suggest that we get together to prepare and adopt the

	Common Lisp Acronym Pronunciation standard

To help things along, I propose this be called the See-LAP standard, and
we work from there (the alternative isn't particularly pleasing).

(For those of you still confused, look at the keywords--this is satire!)

Some issues for the first standards board meeting:

Is the Common Lisp INGres interface to be See-LING (ceiling) or CLING?

Is the Common Lisp Artificial Intelligence Mission CLAIM or just See-Lame?

Is the Common Lisp Environment and Virtual Environment See-LEAVE or CLEAVE?

And finally, is the Common Lisp User-Defined Garbage Eradicator
        See-loodge, Sludge, or just a big Kludge?

--
Joe Konstan
·······@cs.berkeley.edu

From: Chris Dollin
Subject: Re: What we need is another standard ;-)
Joe Konstan says:

   In response, I must suggest that we get together to prepare and adopt the

	   Common Lisp Acronym Pronunciation standard

Great, but exhausting - you'll end up all clapped out.
--

Regards,    | "The date of death of a sentient entity must never be
Kers.       | mentioned in a Dirac 'cast." - Blish, ``The Quincunx of Time''.
From: Bob Kerns
In article <············@agate.berkeley.edu>, ·······@linus.cs.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) writes:

> In response, I must suggest that we get together to prepare and adopt the
>
> 	Common Lisp Acronym Pronunciation standard
>
> To help things along, I propose this be called the See-LAP standard, and
> we work from there (the alternative isn't particularly pleasing).

I prefer the Japanese pronunciation:

Kura-ppu