From: Daniel Gross
Subject: Query/Suggest porting CMLISP to Transputer
Does any one know of any effort to create a subset
of Thinking Machines Corp.'s CMLisp to a transputer-
based system? If not, would anyone be interested
in helping me investigate the possiblity and/or
endeavor to make this hack? The rationale is manifold:

a) Have a (relatively) cheap system on which to
   develop/prototype Connection Machine applications

b) Provide both object-orientation and data/process
   management that is inherintely parallel in design

c) Create a "trickle-down" distribution channel for
   scaled-down versions of CM programs, as well as
   an upgrade path for complex LISP code, which
   would reduce the capitalization costs for both
   groups and hence serve everyone well.

Lemme now in this newsgroup or mail directly to
me as ·······@panix.com. thanks.

--

  -------------------------
  Daniel Gross              \
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Query/Suggest porting CMLISP to Transputer
In article <····················@hubcap.clemson.edu> ·······@panix.com (Daniel Gross) writes:
>a) Have a (relatively) cheap system on which to
>   develop/prototype Connection Machine applications

Are you sure you mean CM-Lisp, and not *Lisp?  A CM-Lisp implementation
wouldn't be much help for developing CM applications, since the CM isn't
programmed in CM-Lisp.  There was a prototype CM-Lisp implementation
written years ago; if it was ever run on an actual CM, it was probably the
now-obsolete CM-1.  Basically, CM-Lisp was a dream that was never realized.
I don't think there are any plans to revive CM-Lisp at the current time.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar