From: Mark Schulze
Subject: a*
Hi

I would like to know if someone could send a good a* search
that would work on xlisp..can be for IBM PC or unix system

I am trying to use an outline of the search to create a working
function but I am not having any luck.  If you can refer me to a good book
on lisp which has an A* search that would help just as much..

thanks

Mark A. Schulze
·······@buhub.bradley.edu
From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: a*
In article <·····················@bradley.bradley.edu> ·······@buhub.bradley.edu (Mark Schulze) writes:

>I would like to know if someone could send a good a* search
>that would work on xlisp..can be for IBM PC or unix system
>
>I am trying to use an outline of the search to create a working
>function but I am not having any luck.  If you can refer me to a good book
>on lisp which has an A* search that would help just as much..

Almost any intro AI text will cover A*. Winston, Nilsson, Rich&Knight,
Luger&Stubblefield, etc., are good places to look. If you want something
with LISP examples, Tanimoto's _The Elements of AI Using Common LISP_ may
be helpful to you.

However, the basic A* routine is extremely simple. As in perhaps 1/2 a
page of code (whatever that means :-). The bulk of your work will be in
generating children of a node for a *specific* application domain. So
even references with code like Tanimoto won't save you that much time since
you will need to do the hard part yourself. In that regard, I have a generic
A* routine in Common LISP where you pass in the functions that generate
children, calculate h, check for a solution, etc. You would have to write those
functions, but could then use the generic A* with it. I would be glad to send
it, but as I said, I'm not sure it will be much help (and it will certainly
not run in xlisp).

					- Marty
····@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, ···········@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

(setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)