From: Tim Finin
Subject: CFP - 8th IEEE Conference on AI for Applications

		     Preliminary Call For Participation

				   CAIA-92

			The Eighth IEEE Conference on
		   Artificial Intelligence for Applications

			    Monterey, California
			     March 2 - 6 , 1992

The conference is devoted to the application of artificial intelligence
techniques to real-world problems.  Two kinds of papers are appropriate:
papers presenting case studies of knowledge-based applications that solve
significant problems and stimulate the development of useful techniques and
papers on AI techniques and principles that underlie knowledge-based systems,
and in turn, enable ever more ambitious real-world applications.  This
conference provides a forum for such synergy between applications and AI
techniques.

Papers describing significant unpublished results are solicited in two areas:

   o APPLICATIONS PAPERS. Contributions stemming from the general areas of
     industry, science, engineering, business, government, law, etc.
     Application papers must (1) Justify the use of the AI technique, based
     on the problem definition and an analysis of the application's
     requirements; (2) Explain how AI technology was used to solve a
     significant problem; (3) Describe the status of the implementation; (4)
     Evaluate both the effectiveness of the technique and implementation.

     Short papers describing systems in use (up to 1000 words) will also be
     accepted for presentation in these application tracks.

   o ENABLING TECHNOLOGY PAPERS.  Contributions focusing on techniques
     and principles that facilitate the development of practical knowledge
     based systems that can be scaled to handle increasing problem complexity.
     Topics include, but are not limited to: knowledge representation,
     reasoning, search, knowledge acquisition, learning, constraint
     programming, planning, validation and verification, project management,
     natural language processing, speech, intelligent interfaces, integration,
     problem-solving architectures, programming environments and general tools.

Papers should be limited to 5000 words.  Papers significantly longer than
this will not be reviewed. The first page of the paper should contain the
following information (where applicable) in the order shown:

  -  TITLE.
  -  AUTHORS: names and affiliation. (specify student status)
  -  CONTACT: name, postal address, phone, fax and email address
  -  ABSTRACT:  A 200 word abstract that includes a clear statement describing
     the paper's original contributions and what new lesson is imparted.
  -  AREA: one of "application" or "technology".
  -  AI TOPIC:  one or more terms describing the relevant AI areas, e.g.,
     knowledge acquisition, explanation, diagnosis, etc.
  -  DOMAIN:  one or more terms describing the problem domain area,
     e.g., mechanical design, factory scheduling, education, medicine, etc.
  -  LANGUAGE/TOOL:  Underlying programming languages, systems and tools used.
  -  STATUS:  development and deployment status, as appropriate.
  -  EFFORT: Person-years of effort put into developing the particular
     aspect of the project being described.
  -  IMPACT: A twenty word description of estimated or measured (specify)
     benefit of the application developed.

Papers will be accepted in two forms: long papers and short papers.  Papers
accepted for publication will be allotted seven pages (long papers) or four
pages (short papers) in the conference proceedings.  The best papers accepted
will be considered for a special issue of IEEE EXPERT to appear late in 1991.
An application has been made to reserve a special issue of IEEE Transactions
on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TDKE) for publication of the best papers in
the enabling technologies track.  IBM will sponsor an award of $1,500 for the
best student paper at the conference.

In addition to papers, we solicit the following types of submissions:

  - PROPOSALS FOR PANEL DISCUSSIONS. Provide a brief description of the
    topic (1000 words or less).  Indicate the membership of the panel and
    whether you are interested in organizing/moderating the discussion.

  - PROPOSALS FOR TUTORIAL PRESENTATIONS. Proposals for three hour tutorials
    of both an introductory and advanced nature are requested.  Topics should
    relate to the management and technical development of useful AI
    applications.  Tutorials which analyze classes of applications in depth or
    examine techniques appropriate for a particular class of applications are
    of particular interest.

    Each tutorial proposal should include the following:

     * Detailed topic outline and extended abstract (about 3 pages).
     * Intended audience and assumed background knowledge.
     * Half-page synopsis of focus, topics, and benefits to audience.
     * Full professional vita (including lecture/tutorial experience
       and a one-paragraph summary).

  - PROPOSALS FOR WORKSHOPS.  Proposals are sought for one-day workshops to be
    held in conjunction with the conference.  These can focus on a specific
    application domain (e.g., aerospace applications) or on a technical
    subarea (e.g., intelligent real-time problem solving).  Workshop
    organization and attendance will be governed by the organizers.  Contact
    the workshop chair for further information.

IMPORTANT DATES

  - AUGUST 30, 1991: Six copies of Papers, and four copies of all panel,
    tutorial and workshop proposals due.  Late submissions will be returned
    unopened.  Electronically transmitted materials will not be  accepted.
  - OCTOBER 25, 1991: Author notifications mailed.
  - DECEMBER  11, 1991: Accepted papers due to IEEE.  Accepted tutorial
    notes due to Tutorial Chair.
  - MARCH 2-3, 1992: Conference tutorial program and workshops.
  - MARCH 4-6, 1992: Conference technical program.

SUBMIT PAPERS AND PANELS TO:		SUBMIT WORKSHOP PROPOSALS TO:

 Jan Aikins				Don McKay
 Aion Corporation			Unisys Center for Advanced Info. Tech.
 101 University Ave.			70 East Swedesford Rd.
 Palo Alto, CA 94301			Paoli PA 19301
 Phone: 415-328-9595			Phone: 215-648-2256
 Fax: 415-328-0624			Fax: 215-648-2288
 Email: ······@cup.portal.com		Email: ·····@prc.unisys.com

SUBMIT TUTORIAL PROPOSALS TO:		FOR REGISTRATION AND CONFERENCE INFO:

 Daniel O'Leary				CAIA-92
 Graduate School of Business		The Computer Society of the IEEE
 University of Southern California	1730 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
 Los Angeles, CA 90089-1421		Washington, DC 20036-1903
 Phone: 213-740-4856			Phone: 202-371-1013
 Fax: 213-747-2815			Fax: 202-728-0884

			CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

General Chair:       Tim Finin, Unisys
Program Chair:       Jan Aikins, Aion Corporation
Publicity Co-Chairs: Paul Harmon & Curt Hall, Intelligent Software Strategies
Tutorial Chair:      Daniel O'Leary, University of Southern California
Workshop Chair:      Don McKay, Unisys
Local Arrangements:  Bob Engelmore, Stanford University
Program Committee:   Chidanand Apte, IBM Research
                     Jim Bennett, Expert Support Inc.
                     Ron Brachman, AT&T Bell Labs
                     Elizabeth Byrnes, Manufacturers Hanover Trust
                     Vasant Dhar, New York University
                     Lee Erman, Cimflex Teknowledge
                     Richard Gabriel, Lucid, Inc.
                     Se June Hong, IBM Research
                     Gary Kahn, A.C. Nielson
                     Bernadette Kowalski, Aion Corporation
                     Bill Mark, Lockheed AI Center
                     Brian McCune, Advanced Decision Systems
                     Steve Minton, NASA Ames Research Center
                     Fumio Mizoguchi, Tokyo Science University
                     Ramesh Patil, University of Southern California/ISI
                     Earl Sacerdoti, The Copernican Group
                     Lokendra Shastri, University of Pennsylvania
                     Howard Shrobe, Symbolics & MIT
                     Dave Waltz, Brandeis University & Thinking Machines
                     Mike Wellman, Wright Laboratory, USAF
                     Mike Williams, IntelliCorp

  | Tim Finin                                   ·····@prc.unisys.com     |
  | Center for Advanced Information Technology  215-648-2840, -2288(fax) |
  | Unisys, PO Box 517, Paoli, PA 19301 USA     215-386-1749 (home)      |