From: Peter Karp
Subject: Interlisp translater
You can FTP an Interlisp to Common Lisp translator by anonymous FTP
to host ai.sri.com from directory pub/pkarp/lisp .  It's unsupported
but I've found it useful.

Peter

From: Eliot Handelman
Subject: Re: Interlisp translater
In article <···················@rockaway.ai.sri.com> ·····@ai.sri.com (Peter Karp) writes:
;You can FTP an Interlisp to Common Lisp translator by anonymous FTP
;to host ai.sri.com from directory pub/pkarp/lisp .  It's unsupported
;but I've found it useful.
;
;Peter

I've implemented a whole bunch of Xerox Loops in common lisp, including
Metaclasses and support for active values. Most of it has been tested.
Some of it is possibly not quite right. I can make it available if
there's interest, and if anyone cares to hack at it. Email me not
at this address but at ·····@clarity.princeton.edu.

--eliot
From: john blue
In article <····@idunno.Princeton.EDU> ·····@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>In article <···················@rockaway.ai.sri.com> ·····@ai.sri.com (Peter Karp) writes:
>;You can FTP an Interlisp to Common Lisp translator by anonymous FTP
>; <stuff deleted>
>;
>;Peter
>
>I've implemented a whole bunch of Xerox Loops in common lisp, including
>Metaclasses and support for active values. Most of it has been tested.
>Some of it is possibly not quite right. I can make it available if
>there's interest, and if anyone cares to hack at it. Email me not
>at this address but at ·····@clarity.princeton.edu.
>
>--eliot

Does this include the graphics of the Loops system? (as on a dandelion?)
john blue
·····@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
From: Eliot Handelman
In article <······················@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ·····@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (john blue) writes:
;In article <····@idunno.Princeton.EDU> ·····@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:

;>
;>I've implemented a whole bunch of Xerox Loops in common lisp, including
;>Metaclasses and support for active values. Most of it has been tested.
;>Some of it is possibly not quite right. I can make it available if
;>there's interest, and if anyone cares to hack at it. Email me not
;>at this address but at ·····@clarity.princeton.edu.
;>
;>--eliot
;
;Does this include the graphics of the Loops system? (as on a dandelion?)
;john blue

That's a sort of not very high priority project that I've been hacking at
for MACL 1.3. We needed a browser and I hacked together a very basic one,
and I've been gradually xeroifying it, complete with xerox-style menus.
Looks nice, anyway. Some of the code is a real mess.

I don't want to raise anyone's expectations of this thing. It is a bare-bones
implementation that does no fancy optimizations, like method or CV caching.
On a Mac IIfx it's nevertheless about 6 times faster than an 1106 (based
on an informal benchmark consisting of a heavily LOOPS dependant program
that took 1/2 hour on the Xerox, vs. 5 minutes on the Mac). As far as I
can tell -- how far that is, I don't know -- its BEHAVIOR is consistent
with Xerox loops. I know absolutely nothing about Xerox internals other
than what the manual sez, or what the machines do. I'm expecting to be
corrected about many of the (behavioral) details.

I can make it all available to anyone who can use it, though just now
our network is down (expected back up soon).

--eliot