From: Steven G. Chappell
Subject: "Easy" way to put "AI" in realtime embedded systems?
Hi
	Over the years we have been working on an experimental autonomous
vehicle (EAVE) of the submersible persuasion. In the early stages, effort was
centered on the "traditional" robotics issues of positioning and motion
control, with a very heavy emphasis directed at the real-time aspects of same.
Subsequent work centered on an architecture which provides the capability for
adding new functionality to the already existing vehicle system. Recent work
dealt with the business of incorporating concepts from the AI community into
the vehicle runtime system so as to render it more "intelligent" (less stupid).
This is a nontrivial business since traditional embedded systems don't support
symbolic programming environments and such environments don't mix well with
"real-time" operation. Thus, my general information request:

By what methods can "AI" algorithms be installed in an embedded system?

Methods we have examined or heard about:
    software:
      augment embedded system with library which supports symbolic functionality
        develop in some extension of C, compile, download, run
      automated translation of symbolic code to supported code (C)
        develop in LISP, translate, compile, download, run
      utilize C++ (is C++ an adequate "AI" environment?)
        develop in C++, compile, download, run
      rehost the symbolic environment to the embedded system
        develop in LISP, download, run
    hardware: (is this really possible?)
      install LISP capable subsystem in target bus

In particular, we went the "rehost" route: transporting the University of
Utah's Portable Common LISP Subset from an HP Bobcat to our particular
development system and subsequently to our vehicle system. This has worked
to a degree, but it is not without its warts.

What experiences have you all had or heard about in regards to this?

Please email responses.
--
					Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
					Marine Program Building