From: Geert Adriaens
Subject: Lisp on Mac
Hello,

Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??

Thanks.
--
Geert Adriaens (SIEMENS-METAL Project & University of Leuven)
Maria Theresiastraat 21              ········@kulcs.uucp or

From: Robert Dale
Subject: Re: Lisp on Mac
········@kim.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Geert Adriaens) writes:

>Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
>to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
>about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??

There are two Common Lisps around:  Procyon Common Lisp from Procyon
of Cambridge UK, and Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp via APDA.  I don't
have contact information to hand but if no-one else posts it I guess
I'll have to ..

Robert Dale        Phone: +44 31 650 4416       | University of Edinburgh
		   Fax:   +44 31 662 4912	| Centre for Cognitive Science
ARPA:   ···················@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
JANET:  ···@uk.ac.ed.cogsci or ······@uk.ac.ed  | Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland
From: Serge Gilette
From: Steve Weyer
there's Franz Lisp for the Mac from:
  Fort Pont Research
  15 Fort Pond Road
  Acton, MA 01720
  (508) 263-9692

there are two good Common Lisps:

Procyon Common Lisp is available from:
  Procyon Research Ltd.
  Block B, Westbrook Centre
  Milton Road
  Cambridge CB4 1YQ, UK
  Tel: 011 44 223 65011
  FAX: 011 44 223 460290
  internet: ······@applelink.apple.com

and from:
  ExperTelligence, Inc.
  5638 Hollister Ave, Suite 302
  Goleta, CA  93117
  (805) 967-1797
  internet: ·····@applelink.apple.com (I think)

finally, Macintosh Common Lisp (MCL) (formerly called Macintosh Allegro
Common Lisp; and prior to that Coral Common Lisp) is available through
Apple:
  APDA
  Apple Computer Inc.
  20525 Mariani Ave. MS 33G
  Cupertino, CA 95014 -6299 USA
  (800) 282-2732 (US)
  (800) 637-0029 (Canada)
  (408) 562-3910 (Intl.)
  FAX: (408) 562-3971
  TELEX: 171-576
  internet: ····@Applelink.apple.com

(Pearl Lisp, a subset of Coral Lisp, is no longer available -- though you
might be able to find a copy on one of the older developer CDs...)

Steve Weyer
Mgr, Intelligent Applications (IA)
Advanced Technology Group (ATG)
Apple Computer Inc.
From: Steve Weyer
here's a press release on the most recent (2.0) version of Macintosh
Common Lisp (MCL) from Apple -- please ignore the rest of this message if you
regard such things as propaganda rather than  information...

=========
Apple Announces Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0

CUPERTINO, California--Wednesday, February 20, 1991--Apple Computer, Inc.
today introduced a new version of its Common Lisp development
environment--Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0.  This interactive programming
environment, formerly known as Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, makes
extensive use of the intuitive  Macintosh graphic interface.  It now
offers programmers additional tools and increased performance to further
aid them in their application development.  Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0
provides these customers with a Lisp programming environment fully
integrated with the Macintosh personal computing platform.

Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 is a full implementation of the current industry
standard Common Lisp programming language, as defined in "Common Lisp:
The Language, Second Edition," by Guy L. Steele, Jr.  Common Lisp is used
on a variety of computer platforms for a broad range of applications.
Because  it is a dynamic language which provides automatic memory
management, Common Lisp simplifies the creation of complex interactive
applications.  This makes it
especially well-suited for rapid prototyping, custom development for
business and education, scientific and engineering applications, and
artificial intelligence research.

"Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 is a dynamic, interactive environment for
object-oriented programming," said David Nagel, Apple's vice president,
Advanced Technology Group.  "Because it provides a very transparent and
powerful environment, users have the ability to explore and develop
advanced and innovative applications, as well as to investigate new
technologies."

New Features

Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 now offers support for the Common Lisp Object
System (CLOS), the standard object-oriented extension to Common Lisp.
Users will be able to take advantage of CLOS by writing portable
object-oriented code that can easily be moved between the Macintosh
platform and other computer platforms.

Another key feature is the Interface Toolkit, a programming tool that
allows developers to graphically author interfaces for their applications.
 Users with little or no Lisp experience can interactively design
fully-functional Macintosh dialog boxes and menus, within a short time.
The Interface Toolkit allows users to produce applications with the
Macintosh look-and-feel, without having to generate source code.  Unlike
many other interface construction kits,
the Macintosh Common Lisp Interface Toolkit does not require a separate
compile and link stage--the user can manipulate the interface while it is
installed and running on the computer.

Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 also provides improved handling of records and
traps.  Interface files allow users to access Macintosh Toolbox routines,
including routines that will take advantage of powerful new features in
the forthcoming Macintosh System 7.0 system software release, such as the
Apple events manager.  Users writing extremely large programs with
Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 will be able to access more than 8MB of memory
when using System 7.

Additionally, many of the prototyping, programming and debugging tools in
Macintosh Common Lisp have been enhanced with version 2.0.  These include
an incremental compiler, a window-based debugger, a source code stepper, a
 dynamic object inspector, and a Macintosh-style Lisp program editor.
These tools work together to present all programming activities in a
high-level,  object-oriented fashion.

"Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 is significantly faster than earlier versions,"
said Mike Wirth, vice president of technical development at Petroleum
Information. "Once our development team tried the alpha version, I
couldn't get them to go back.  Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 really makes our
applications fly."  Availability A beta version of Macintosh Common Lisp
2.0 will be available from the Apple Program and Developers Association
(APDA) in late March, 1991.

Distribution Channels
Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 will be distributed by Apple through APDA.  For
more
information in the U.S., contact (800) 282-2732; in Canada, (800)
637-0029; or
internationally, (408) 562-3910.

Suggested Retail Price
The Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 beta version will cost $495, which includes
a free upgrade to the final 2.0 version.   Current users can receive an
upgrade to version 2.0 beta, which includes a free upgrade to the final
2.0 version, for $250.  Site licenses are available.

Included with Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 is a new introductory manual for
first time users.

System Requirements
A minimum of a Macintosh Plus personal computer with a hard disk and 2.5MB
of RAM is required; 4MB or more are recommended; system software 6.0.4 or
later or A/UX 2.0.1, Apple's version of the industry-standard AT&T UNIX
operating system.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, A/UX are registered trademarks of Apple
Computer, Inc.  APDA is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.  Allegro Common
Lisp is a trademark of Franz, Inc.  UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX
System Laboratories.

=========

From: Mark Preece
In article <····@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> ········@kim.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Geert Adriaens) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
>to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
>about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Geert Adriaens (SIEMENS-METAL Project & University of Leuven)
>Maria Theresiastraat 21              ········@kulcs.uucp or
>B-3000 Leuven                        ········@blekul60.bitnet or
>tel: ..32 16 285091  285098(fax)     ········@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

Actually, the products you named all refer to different versions of the same
Lisp.

To make a long story short:

1. A company called Coral produced Lisps variously called
   "Pearl Lisp", "Coral Common Lisp", and "Allegro Common Lisp for the Mac".

2. Apple bought Coral and the product became "Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp".
   The current version of this product (MACL 1.3.2) is still available
   from APDA.

3. To avoid confusion (believe it or not), the new version of MACL has been
   renamed "Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0" (MCL 2.0). This product has just been
   released in a Beta version, also available from APDA.

Here's APDA's address:

	APDA
	Apple Computer
	20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 33G