From: Jeff Woodward
Subject: CLX won't compile using akcl under akcl on i386
i am attempting to build the CLX system under system V unix on my 386.
i FINALLY got akcl to make on my system ( which required me to first
port gcc/gas to the machine :  meaning i built akcl using gcc ), but
here's the rub ---> when you make akcl, it only includes FASLINK in
SI if the #define BSD is set, which ESIX System V unix ain't!

when i attempt to load defsystem.l from the CLX package, akcl bombs
with the appropriate messages stating that FASLINK doesn't exist.

anyone ever successfully ported CLX to an akcl system on an i386 or
similar system V Release 3.2 system?  if so, how'd you get around
this one?

thanks in advance for your help.

jeff p woodward
univ of ill at chicago
From: Richard Harris
Subject: Re: CLX won't compile using akcl under akcl on i386
Here is what you need to do if you want to run CLX in AKCL,
and you do not have a BSD based system:

First, run akcl, load the CLX file named defsystem, and run
compile-clx in order to compile socket.c.

Second, edit the akcl defs file for your machine, adding the line
EXTRAS = /yourCLXdirectory/socket.o
Then run add-defs again, cd to the unixport directory, and run make.

Third, edit the CLX file defsystem to make the form that compiles
sockcl be just (compile-and-load "sockcl"), and the form that loads it
be (load-binary "sockcl").

---
  Richard Harris