From: Dan Corbett
Subject: KCL for a SUN 4
We've been running KCL on SUN 3s for a year now.  We just completed upgrading
all of our hardware to SUN 4s (with lots of guarantees that everything would
work _just_fine_) and find that KCL won't compile on the SUN4.  We're
running SunOS 4.1.1 (probably the export version).

Does anyone know what the fixes might be?  Failing that, does anyone have
KCL (or Austin KCL) running on a SUN 4 that we can ftp (or get a tape)?

We have the license already, no problem.  We just need a working copy.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Dan Corbett					Department of Computer Science
						University of Technology, Sydney
(02) 218 9449					P.O. Box 123
········@socs.uts.edu.au			Broadway, NSW
						Australia  2007
From: Simon Leinen
Subject: Re: KCL for a SUN 4

Dan> We've been running KCL on SUN 3s for a year now.  We just
Dan> completed upgrading all of our hardware to SUN 4s (with lots of
Dan> guarantees that everything would work _just_fine_) and find that
Dan> KCL won't compile on the SUN4.  We're running SunOS 4.1.1
Dan> (probably the export version).

Dan> Does anyone know what the fixes might be?  Failing that, does
Dan> anyone have KCL (or Austin KCL) running on a SUN 4 that we can
Dan> ftp (or get a tape)?

We are running AKCL (1-505) on Sun-4s just fine.  In SunOS 4.0 and
greater, the format of object files has been changed so that older
versions of AKCL don't compile anymore.  This has been fixed some time
ago.  The current version on Rascal.ICS.UTexas.EDU (128.83.138.20) is

-rw-r--r--  1 root       706107 Jan  8 16:39 akcl-1-530.tar.Z

You will find it in the `/pub' subdirectory of the anonymous FTP
archive.

I recommend that you use GCC as the back end of the KCL compiler (if
you have it).  As of its current version, it will generate slightly
worse code than Sun's new optimizing CC, but the compilation speed is
usually MUCH higher.
--
Simon.