From: Skip Egdorf
Subject: Macintosh Common Lisps. Summary
A few weeks ago I requested information on Common Lisps for
the Mac. Here is the summary.

Short Answer: Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, or MACL, from Apple.

MACL was originally Coral Common Lisp. There was a brief attempt
at joint marketing with Franz from which the name "Allegro" was
added to the product. Aside from this single word in the name, MACL
has no relation to Franz's Allegro Common Lisp for Sun's etc.
Apple then bought out Coral, and now supplies its own Lisp.

Both the Symbolics MacIvory and the TI MicroExplorer board for the Mac
were mentioned. While we have experience with Symbolics Ivory-based
systems (We have some in Suns here), I wanted to locate a "pure" Mac
solution, and no one seemed sure if either TI or Symbolics were still
producing or marketing these add-ons.

Two posters mentioned Procyon's Lisp, but were either neutral or preferred
MACL.

For those interested in Procyon's Lisp, A contact given was
  Procyon of Cambridge, UK, +44-223-421221

For those interested in MACL, The following was given
  APDA, Apple Computer Inc.
  20525 Mariani Ave
  MS 33-G
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  800-282-2732

I located an existing Mac-II system Here at Los Alamos whose owner
had purchased MACL 1.2 some time ago (the current version seems to be
1.3 with 2.0 out as we speak) but never used. I trotted down
with my trusty ethernet card, copied the latest PCL from my Sun, and
built my application. There seems to be no problem, and MACL 2.0 is
being ordered.

Thanks to all who responded.

					Skip Egdorf
					···@lanl.gov
From: Steve Weyer
Subject: Re: Macintosh Common Lisps. Summary
here's a US contact for Procyon CL:
    ExperTelligence, Inc.
    5638 Hollister Ave, Suite 302
    Goleta, CA  93117
    (805) 967-1797
they also distribute TI microExplorers & their Action interface product.

for those interested in Macintosh Common Lisp from Apple, 2.0 is available
in beta now -- in addition to the earlier info about APDA, you can
also contact APDA via FAX: (408) 562-3971 and email:
····@applelink.apple.com.   if you're already a user, you may be
interested in getting on the info-mcl distribution list: send mail to
················@cambridge.apple.com

Steve Weyer
Mgr, Intelligent Applications (IA)
Advanced Technology Group (ATG)