From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Case-sensitive readtable
	foo

reads as

	|foo|

would in the default readtable?

--
Colin Campbell
Evans & Sutherland
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847

········@dsd.es.com

From: Simon Leinen
Subject: Re: Case-sensitive readtable
In article <·····················@dsd.es.com>
········@bullwinkle.dsd.es.com (Colin Campbell) writes:

   Q: Is there a reasonable way to modify the readtable so that
	   foo
   reads as
	   |foo|
   would in the default readtable?

That's what X3J13 invented the READTABLE-CASE accessor for.  I tried
Sun Common Lisp 4.0.1, Symbolics Genera 8.0.2 and Allegro Common Lisp
4.0.1, but none of them implements this function... maybe the vendors
manage to vote this useful feature out of the standard.  (remember the
environment access functions in CLtL 2?)

Allegro has a non-standard function EXCL:SET-CASE-MODE which you can
use to set the case mode *globally*.  I think this was introduced to
simplify migration from Franz Lisp, which didn't capitalize symbol
names.
--
Simon.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···················@liasun1.epfl.ch> ·····@liasun6.epfl.ch writes:
>That's what X3J13 invented the READTABLE-CASE accessor for.  I tried
>Sun Common Lisp 4.0.1, Symbolics Genera 8.0.2 and Allegro Common Lisp
>4.0.1, but none of them implements this function... maybe the vendors
>manage to vote this useful feature out of the standard.  (remember the
>environment access functions in CLtL 2?)

Nope, it's still in the draft standard.  But few of the vendors claim to
implement everything in CLtL2, and this is one of the things that they
haven't added yet.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com