From: Douglas Merrill
Subject: Running out of memory in Common Lisp 4.0
We just started running Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 under SunOS 4.1.1, and
have been having problems with running out of memory, garbage
collection failures, and bus errors.  Our network includes a Sun 4/280
fileserver and several SparcStation2's -- recently upgraded.  Each
SparcStation has about 32Mb of swap space.

When running lisp code which formerly (under Lucid Lisp 3.0) worked

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Running out of memory in Common Lisp 4.0
In article <··················@clarity.princeton.edu> ····@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Douglas Merrill) writes:
>We just started running Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 under SunOS 4.1.1, and
>have been having problems with running out of memory, garbage
>collection failures, and bus errors.

Get the patch to bug 5648.  The description I have of this patch is "code
reorganization/bug fixing in egc.lisp".
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar
From: Trent Lange
In article <······················@Think.COM> ······@think.com writes:
>In article <··················@clarity.princeton.edu> ····@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Douglas Merrill) writes:
>>We just started running Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 under SunOS 4.1.1, and
>>have been having problems with running out of memory, garbage
>>collection failures, and bus errors.
>
>Get the patch to bug 5648.  The description I have of this patch is "code
>reorganization/bug fixing in egc.lisp".
>--
>Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

Is there an ftp site where this and other Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 patches are
available (we're having some of the same problems)?

- Trent Lange

* UCLA Computer Science:  Get a Ph.D. in ten years, or your money back.  *
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·····················@cs.ucla.edu> ·····@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>In article <······················@Think.COM> ······@think.com writes:
>>Get the patch to bug 5648.
>Is there an ftp site where this and other Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 patches are
>available (we're having some of the same problems)?

I know of no FTP site for Lucid patches.  Lucid sends them to us in email
through Sun for Lisp S/W support.  I'm trying to find out whether we have a
special arrangement that allows us to do this (perhaps we're a VAR) or
whether any Sun CL customer can; if the latter, I'll post the email
address.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Sun CL support from Lucid (was Re: Running out of memory in Common Lisp 4.0)
In article <·····················@Think.COM> ······@think.com writes:
>  We deal directly with Lucid rather than going
>through Sun for Lisp S/W support.  I'm trying to find out whether we have a
>special arrangement that allows us to do this (perhaps we're a VAR) or
>whether any Sun CL customer can; if the latter, I'll post the email
>address.

I contacted Sun.  While it doesn't seem to be the reason that we deal
directly with Lucid, they do now have a program that anyone can use.  A few
months ago they instituted a service called "the Support Connection".  This
is a support service available to customers that purchased Lucid through a
VAR.

Contact Lucid for pricing information.  Sorry, I don't have their number
handy; try calling 800 or 415 information (they're located in Palo Alto).

From: Eric Benson
In article <······················@Think.COM> ······@think.com (Barry Margolin) wrote:
> Contact Lucid for pricing information.  Sorry, I don't have their number
> handy; try calling 800 or 415 information (they're located in Palo Alto).

Actually, we're located in Menlo Park.  Our numbers are:

415-329-8400 (local)
800-225-1386 (in California)
800-843-4204 (outside California)
415-329-8480 (FAX)

Or use the Internet address ·····@lucid.com
From: David Kriegman
>We just started running Lucid Common Lisp 4.0 under SunOS 4.1.1, and
>have been having problems with running out of memory, garbage
>collection failures, and bus errors.  Our network includes a Sun 4/280
>fileserver and several SparcStation2's -- recently upgraded.  Each
>SparcStation has about 32Mb of swap space.

There is a bug in Sun Common Lisp 4.0 that causes this problem.  After
wrestling with this problem for nearly 3 months, I finally got a patch
from Sun and it cleared up the problem.  Give them a call.

	-Dave