From: Jay Nelson
Subject: XLISP memory limits
I'm running XLISP 2.1 on my PC (Tom Almy's version of XLISP20.EXE)
which has 640K of memory.  When I use (ALLOC 2000), I can only get 2
segments of nodes.  With (ALLOC 500), I can get 9 which is more node
space.  What are the limits?  Is there a compiler switch I can use to
recompile XLISP that allows more memory?  Is part of my problem that I
am using a Terminate Stay Resident (TSR) editor so I can switch
quickly between XLISP and editing the source file?  What is the
formula for converting the total number of nodes to Kbytes?

Sorry if these are FAQs.  Right now I can only load a single file.  If
I try to load the stepper first I can't even load the code.
--
Jay Nelson  (TRW)  ···@wilbur.coyote.trw.com

From: Andrew Ginter
Subject: Re: XLISP memory limits
Recompile XLISP with the "large memory model" switch on your PC
compiler.  If you look at xlisp.h, you'll see that the "node"
structure is 10 bytes long on a PC.  With the "small memory model"
switch on your compiler, all you get is 64 Kbytes of data space.  Some
of that is stack and static data, so you actually get less than 60
Kbytes.  This is why you can only allocate two 20 Kbyte chunks or nine
5 Kbyte chunks.

Andrew Ginter, 403-220-6320, ·······@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
From: Patrick H. McAllister
In article <·············@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, ···@wilbur.sdd.trw.com
(Jay Nelson) writes:
|>I'm running XLISP 2.1 on my PC (Tom Almy's version of XLISP20.EXE)
|>which has 640K of memory.  When I use (ALLOC 2000), I can only get 2
|>segments of nodes.  With (ALLOC 500), I can get 9 which is more node
|>space.  What are the limits?  Is there a compiler switch I can use to
|>recompile XLISP that allows more memory?  Is part of my problem that I
|>am using a Terminate Stay Resident (TSR) editor so I can switch
|>quickly between XLISP and editing the source file?  What is the
|>formula for converting the total number of nodes to Kbytes?

On a PC, each node in XLISP uses up 11 or 12 bytes.  When I tested it
in 640K with minimal TSRs, I recall being able to allocate about 20K
nodes, occupying around 250KB. I suspect that your TSR editor is indeed
occupying a fair amount of space.

Pat McAllister      ·······@fed.frb.gov
(UUCP:              uunet!fed!m1phm02
 ATT, etc.:         (202) 452-2443
 USnail:            Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC 20551)