From: Bruce Cohen%Cohen
Subject: Current Time and Date?
	I would like to time stamp some output from a CL program
(Franz Allegro Common Lisp).  Are there variables with contain
time and/or date information?  Are there function which will allow
me to easily format the information for a user?

	Thanks

-Bruce

--
	Bruce Cohen                    |  UUCP:     ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!bic
	Computer Graphics Lab          |  INTERNET: ···@cgl.ucsf.edu
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Current Time and Date?
In article <·····@cgl.ucsf.EDU> ···@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>	I would like to time stamp some output from a CL program
>(Franz Allegro Common Lisp).  Are there variables with contain
>time and/or date information?  Are there function which will allow
>me to easily format the information for a user?

I don't have my copy of CLtL handy, but I'll bet you'll be directed to
GET-DECODED-TIME if you look up "time" in the index.

As for formatting it for the user, there are no portable mechanisms for
doing this.  But it's not that hard to do yourself:

(defun format-date (month day year &optional (stream *standard-output*))
  (format stream "~[~;January~;Februrary~;March~;...~] ~D, ~D"
	  month day year))

(defun format-time (hour minutes &optional seconds (stream *standard-output*))
  (format stream "~D:~2,····@[:~2,'0D~]" hour minutes seconds))
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com