From: Ralph P. Sobek
Subject: A Decent Debugger Interface (was Re: An idea for DC Software? (wish list))
In article <······················@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ········@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Timothy Gallivan) writes:
| 4) A graphical interface to one of the PD debuggers would also be nice,
| 	something like dbxtool on Suns. One window has the source
| 	listing with an arrow pointing to the current line. Break points
| 	can be selected with the mouse, etc. By the way, do any of
| 	the commercial C packages have anything like this?

That would already be decent!  But why can't we get a decent debugger
environment (even on a Sun)?  I mean to have something under X11 as
ergonomic as some of those old Lisp Machine debuggers were.  I would
just love to have something as usable as Xerox's Interlisp debugger
front-end; that alone would reduce debugging time by at least 50%.

Maybe this is all wishful thinking...

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
·····@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

From: Marc Maathuis
In article <···················@orion.laas.fr>, ·····@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
  | In article <······················@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ········@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Timothy Gallivan) writes:
  | | 4) A graphical interface to one of the PD debuggers would also be nice,
  | | 	something like dbxtool on Suns. One window has the source
  | | 	listing with an arrow pointing to the current line. Break points
  | | 	can be selected with the mouse, etc.
  |
  | That would already be decent!  But why can't we get a decent debugger
  | environment (even on a Sun)?  I mean to have something under X11 as [...]

Looks like you want xxgdb, which is to gdb what dbxtool is to dbx.
Take a look at your favorite ftp site (e.g. at nuri.iniria.fr in
X/contrib/clients).

--
Marc Maathuis                           Tel:    +33 (1) 30 64 82 57 (direct)
Chorus systemes                         Fax:    +33 (1) 30 57 00 66
From: lance.norskog
You want to get UPS from the University of Kent.
Check ARCHIE for the exact machine.

UPS is 10 times better than DBX, SDB, GDB, and that ilk.

It has an Ansi C interpreter built in; you can type in code,
splice it in, and hit the GO button.  Very very slick.

Lance
From: Bertrand Petit
In article <···················@orion.laas.fr>, ·····@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
> In article <······················@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ········@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Timothy Gallivan) writes:
> | 4) A graphical interface to one of the PD debuggers would also be nice,
> | 	something like dbxtool on Suns. One window has the source
> | 	listing with an arrow pointing to the current line. Break points
> | 	can be selected with the mouse, etc. By the way, do any of
> | 	the commercial C packages have anything like this?
>
> That would already be decent!  But why can't we get a decent debugger
> environment (even on a Sun)?  I mean to have something under X11 as
> ergonomic as some of those old Lisp Machine debuggers were.  I would
> just love to have something as usable as Xerox's Interlisp debugger
> front-end; that alone would reduce debugging time by at least 50%.
>
> Maybe this is all wishful thinking...

	TD (Turbo Debugger) have a nice GEM interface but it is very slow to
use this kind of interface. I perfer ADEBUGC+ a french source level debugger
with a monst-like interface.

--
|    Bertrand Petit          |         Signature is under construction         |
|    alias                   |                                                 |
From: Robert L. Haar CS50
Sobek) writes:
|> In article <······················@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
········@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Timothy Gallivan) writes:
|> | 4) A graphical interface to one of the PD debuggers would also be nice,
|> | 	something like dbxtool on Suns. One window has the source
|> | 	listing with an arrow pointing to the current line. Break points
|> | 	can be selected with the mouse, etc. By the way, do any of
|> | 	the commercial C packages have anything like this?
|>
|> That would already be decent!  But why can't we get a decent debugger
|> environment (even on a Sun)?  I mean to have something under X11 as
|> ergonomic as some of those old Lisp Machine debuggers were.  I would
|> just love to have something as usable as Xerox's Interlisp debugger
|> front-end; that alone would reduce debugging time by at least 50%.
|>
|> Maybe this is all wishful thinking...

Look at the Saber C and C++ products. They are particularly nice under
X11 or OpenWindows.

	Robert Haar, Ph.D.,   InterNet : ·····@gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.