From: M.P. Ward
Subject: Looking for an expression simplifier
I am looking for some CL code to simplify expressions (input as lisp structures
eg: (+ B A (+ C B))). Nothing very clever, just the sort of expressions
found in simple programs. This is for our research project on programs
transformation/analysis.

Some examples:

(+ B A (+ C B)) simplifies to (+ A B C)

(* (+ A B) (- A B))  simplifies to (- (^ A 2) (^ B 2))

(- (* (+ A B) (- A B)) (- (^ A 2) (^ B 2))) simplifies to 0

I hope you get the idea. Ideally it would be extensible, based on a list of
rules which could be added to.

I have the source for the Boyer-Moore Theorem Prover and Maxima, but we
are finding it a bit difficult to dig out the parts we could make use of.

Please email replies as I don't often read this list. Many thanks!

		Martin.

JANET: ···········@uk.ac.durham    Internet (eg US): ···········@DURHAM.AC.UK
or if that fails:  ························@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk
or even: ························@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU