From: Philip Elsas
Subject: Common Lisp and C
  A lot of articles in the range 36xx treat Common Lisp in conjunction to C.
I know of two firms (to which I am not connected), i.e. Chestnut Software
(American or Canadian) and Moebius (Japanese), who both have announced
recently (second half of 1990) to have commercially available Translators
from Common Lisp source code to ANSI C source code.
I know from Chestnut Software that their product is available for Intel
80286/80386 processors (among others) and that their product is able to
deal with source code made with Gold Hill (Full) Common Lisp (which is also
commercially available for Intel 80286/80386 processors (among others) at
the Gold Hill firm, to which I am again not connected).
Although I have never used either source code translator, so I cannot say
anything about quality, it seems to me a potentially very valuable tool
which gives C the only role a Lisp system programmer can give it, that is:
plain and efficient intermediate code.

Philip Elsas