From: John Hughes
Subject: CLIPS copyright status... "COSMIC says..."
FYI - This is the straight poop from COSMIC concerning the supposed
copyright status of CLIPS. Just in case there's still some confusion
about what one can and cannot do with the sources and such....

CLIPS is not copyrighted.

BEGIN INCLUDED MESSAGE:
     Date: Fri, 04 Jan 1991 11:01:30 EST
     From: ········@cosmic1.cosmic.uga.edu
     To: noao!jmh%coyote.UUCP
     Subject: RE: CLIPS copyright verification needed

     Sorry for the delay in answering.  The computer took a longer
     vacation than I did.

     You are correct in assuming that CLIPS is not a copyrighted product.
     Like most of the programs in our inventory, it is offered as part
     of NASA's Technology Transfer Program, who's mission is to share the
     benefits of space technology. It is considered polite, however, to
     credit NASA for its contribution to your research or commercial
     products.

     ...[remainder of message relevant to myself deleted]

END INCLUDED MESSAGE

I hope this helps clear up some of the divergent opinions.... ;-}

ps. - It's amazing what one can learn by just asking.

--
|     John M. Hughes      | "...unfolding in consciousness at the            |
| ················@coyote | deliberate speed of pondering."  - Daniel Dennet |

From: Scott "TCB" Turner
Subject: Re: CLIPS copyright status... "COSMIC says..."
That's interesting, since I got just the opposite answer from the
CLIPS Help Desk at NASA.  They pointed out that the distribution disks
carry a specific warning, which I verified.  Can someone who has CLIPS
from COSMIC check their distribution disks?

						-- Scott Turner
From: Hm, what was my name again?
In article <·····················@coyote.uucp> ···@coyote.uucp (John Hughes) writes:

	You are correct in assuming that CLIPS is not a copyrighted product.
	Like most of the programs in our inventory, it is offered as part
	of NASA's Technology Transfer Program, who's mission is to share the
	benefits of space technology. It is considered polite, however, to

Curious.  As a former employee of a NASA Tech Transfer affiliate, I
find it unlikely that NASA did not copyright CLIPS.  They certainly do
copyright most of the other software available through TT; had the firm
for which I worked not have been a TT affiliate we would have had to
pay a pretty penny for some of the stuff we used.  At least all the
stuff we got from them had big labels about containing materials that
was copyrighted and may be covered by the high-tech export laws.

Then again, I just installed the stuff on the system; I never actually
USED any of it. :)
--
		  Help stamp out vi in our lifetime!

    Firefoot (Warrant) (a.k.a. Scott Goehring)
    ········@ai.mit.edu (finally!)