From: Squish
Subject: Pointers to implementing a LISP-like interpreter
For a project I'm working on, a LISP-like interpreter is needed.  I've been
looking for good books on the INSIDE of LISP but I can't seem to find any.  Of
course, all LISP books seem to have those few pages showing the
all-to-over-used pictures of the linked list structure (-:  Anyways, besides
XLISP, does anyone know of any PD LISP implementations OR, does anyone have
any papers or books about how to implement an interpreter, preferably LISP
oriented.  Thanks!

- Mike Almquist (········@cis.udel.edu)

From: Ozan Yigit
In article <·····@nigel.ee.udel.edu> ········@cis.udel.edu (Squish) writes:
>For a project I'm working on, a LISP-like interpreter is needed.  I've been
>looking for good books on the INSIDE of LISP but I can't seem to find any.

For lisp and-the-like interpreters, including source code, see Kamin's [1]
excellent book on programming languages. For INSIDE of lisp, the one I always
found to be inspirational is also somewhat dated: Allen's Anatomy of Lisp.
Multitutes of other books have bits and pieces of what you need, but I cannot
supply you with a comprehensive list at this moment.

oz
---
[1] Kamin, Samuel, Programming Languages: An Interpreter-based Approach,
    Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass. 1990
---
Why should the status of my code depend on  | Internet: ··@nexus.yorku.ca
what RMS had for breakfast? -- Jay Maynard  | Uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
From: ·······@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
Hiya!

I've been looking around for Lisp implementation details myself, and have come
up with very little, but here goes:
   The Structure and Interpretation of Programming Languages by Abelson
   Lambda: The Ultimate * - series of MIT AI memos, if you can get your hands on those
   "siod" - a Scheme interpreter in C, by anonymous FTP from "paradigm.com"
That's pretty much all I've seen thus far.  Let me know what else you find?

So long...

Joe Lavinus
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= Joseph W. Lavinus                           =     \  /      =
From: Roger Rohrbach
  I posted a LISP interpreter written in awk to this group some time ago,
which serves as a simple implementation example.  I believe it's now being
distributed with GNU awk, or send me mail if you'd like a copy.

--
Roger Rohrbach                                  sun!wrs!roger    ·····@wrs.com
From: ···@paradigm.com
In article <·····@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, ········@cis.udel.edu (Squish) writes:
> For a project I'm working on, a LISP-like interpreter is needed.

You could have a look at SIOD. Anonymous FTP to BU.EDU, cd to users/gjc
and get siod-v2.4-XYZ where XYZ depends on if you want the unix, vms,
or macintosh versions.