From: Eric Beser
Subject: clx, clue and clos compilation woes
Is there a way to compile all the modules for clos, clx
and clue without having to be in the akcl compiler.

I started building clx at 6:30 am yesterday, and at 6:30
this morning I was halfway through the list. It seems that
there is a memory leak somewhere that chews up resources.
My sparc station (only 8 meg of memory) was taken down
to it's knees. Badly. It was thrashing so badly that the
assembler was taking forever. The assembly language for
one module was 1.9 meg! and no wonder the assembler was
taking so long.

Compiling one module at a time would do it. I know that
there is a command line compiler for the akcl system.

Has anyone done this? Is there a makefile that I can use?

I can't believe that a group of modules would take so long
to compile?

What am i doing wrong!!!!!!!

Eric Beser
Westinghouse Aerospace SW Engineering
From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: clx, clue and clos compilation woes
In article <···@tron.UUCP> ·····@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) writes:
>Is there a way to compile all the modules for clos, clx
>and clue without having to be in the akcl compiler.
>
>I started building clx at 6:30 am yesterday, and at 6:30
>this morning I was halfway through the list. It seems that
>there is a memory leak somewhere that chews up resources.
>My sparc station (only 8 meg of memory) was taken down
>to it's knees. Badly. It was thrashing so badly that the
>assembler was taking forever. The assembly language for
>one module was 1.9 meg! and no wonder the assembler was
>taking so long.
>
>Compiling one module at a time would do it. I know that
>there is a command line compiler for the akcl system.

The Sun C compiler often produced large assembly files and
takes a long time.  Since AKCL calls the Sun C compiler,
that's probably where the delay is.

The command-line compiler is the same compiler you get when
you call the COMPILE-FILE function, so that won't help all
that much.

There is a way in AKCL to have large files compiled as several
smaller files.  I haven't used this, though, so I don't know
what limitations it has.

What I do is use gcc (the GNU C compiler).  It is _much_ faster
for the cases where Sun cc goes into slow mode.  I get gcc for
compiling by setting the variable compiler::*cc* in AKCL to

"gcc -fwritable-strings -msoft-float -DVOL=volatile -I/usr/local/lib/kclsys -O"

The soft-float was form Sun 3s, and I didn't bother to take it
out for the Sun4.

The directory after "-I" should be on that contains cmpinclude.h.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: ········@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  ·················@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton