From: George Planansky
Subject: akcl compile on Sun3 4.03
I want to compile the akcl/kcl package on a Sun 3/280, Sun OS 4.03.

I plan to use gcc 1.39 (should I stick with Sun's cc?) since I understand
gcc is better.  I have some uncertainties regarding some make variables.

The sun-os4.defs file says to compile with "-Bstatic" , if using gcc.

  # if using gcc we need the -Bstatic in the loader flag, but also gnulib
  # gcc 1.36 has a definite bug--dont use it for AKCL. gcc 1.35 is ok.
  # If using regular cc comment out the next 2 lines
  CC = gcc -DVOL=volatile -I$(AKCLDIR)/o -fwritable-strings -msoft-float
  LIBS	= -lm -lg /usr/local/lib/gcc-gnulib

  LDCC= cc -Bstatic

  # Currently the result of lisp compilation cannot always be compiled on -O4,
  # but all files in the ./o directory can.
  ODIR_DEBUG= -g

For sun's cc, -Bstatic exist as such; however, for gcc, the -B option
usage is "-Bprefix", a search path.  According to the gcc manual,
v.1.39, page 25:

  -static On Suns running version 4, this prevents linking with the
          shared libraries.  ('-g" has the same effect.).

We also have the 68881 math coprocessor on our Suns.

Questions:

1. Does the -g option get passed to gcc via ODIR_DEBUG?

2. Should I not use:

CC = gcc -DVOL=volatile -I$(AKCLDIR)/o -fwritable-strings -m68881 \
     -static -g

3. What does LDCC do?   Is it the loader flag, and does it get passed
to ld?

Regarding "LDCC= cc -Bstatic", should that change to "LDCC= $CC",
or something else?

README says I may want to change a couple of things in sun3-os4.h:

  if you wish to change a parameter such as MAXPAGE 16384 established
  in bsd.h (ie. number of 2000 byte pages you want as your absolute max
  swap space)

  #undef MAXPAGE
  #define MAXPAGES 32000

  You may similarly redefine VSSIZE the maximum size for the value
  stack (running very deep recursion interpreted may well require this).

Question:

4. For a 3/280 with 24 Mbytes of memory, and 60 Mbytes swap (split
between 2 disks), what are appropriate values for MAXPAGES and VSSIZE?

Thanks for your help.  Please email to me.
--
George Planansky
Atmospheric & Environmental Research