From: Jack Vinson
Subject: Optimizing code, books? suggestions?
Hello Folks,

You've been so helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask again.  Are there any
books or other references with suggestions about how I can optimize my code for
speed and for producing less garbage.  My guess is that my programming skills
aren't the best and produce way too much garbage.

I would also appreciate any suggestion or favorite methods of optimizing code
that you may have.

Jack    ······@linc.cis.upenn.edu
From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Optimizing code, books? suggestions?
In article <·····@netnews.upenn.edu> ······@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jack Vinson) writes:
>[...]  Are there any
>books or other references with suggestions about how I can optimize my code for
>speed and for producing less garbage.

Peter Norvig's upcoming book _Paradigms of AI Programming_ has several good
sections on optimization. Much more detail on this than any of the other
LISP/AI Programming *texts* that I have seen, although other sources
(e.g. LISP and Symbolic Computation) undoubtedly have more detail in
specific areas. It is due out in October from Morgan Kaufmann.

						- Marty
····@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, ···········@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

(setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)