From: Bill Birch
Subject: Re: Virtues of Lisp syntax
As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a discussion about the merits of
LISP syntax shows the different views of the language. I guess my view
of the LISP syntax could take some people by suprise.  As far as I am
concerned LISP is a software development tool.  It allows me to express
solutions to problems in small languages of my own creation. The interpreters
and compilers for these languages are LISP programs.

For this use, the syntax of LISP is ideal since it places no trestrictions
on the format of my own languages. For example, I have implemented an
assembler for some very nasty state-engines (usually coded in hex by
"binary aboriginal" contractors).  Just browsing through the average
introduction to LISP text will show many examples of mini-languages
implemented with the humble s-expression.

This is what LISP is all about in my view. LISP is a powerful tool,
the Play-Dough (Plasticene) of programming languages.

Bill

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not