From: NancyAnn none Sheridan
Subject: "Apple/Coral/Allegro" Common Lisp
>I couldn't reach Coral, and Apple said they aren't
>supporting Allegro!  Does anyone have a number to call
>for tech support for Allegro?

Don't bother.  The name "Allegro Common Lisp" is a contractually mandated
lie.  The name should originally have been "Coral Common Lisp",  and now
might best be called "Apple Common Lisp".   Apple bought Coral, and Allegro ne
had all that much to do with it.
---
From: ·····@Dcjcon.Das.Net
Maybe-Reply-To: ·········@Cup.Portal.Com

From: Bill St. Clair
Subject: Re: "Apple/Coral/Allegro" Common Lisp
In article <·····@cup.portal.com> ·········@cup.portal.com (NancyAnn none Sheridan) writes:

   >I couldn't reach Coral, and Apple said they aren't
   >supporting Allegro!  Does anyone have a number to call
   >for tech support for Allegro?

   Don't bother.  The name "Allegro Common Lisp" is a contractually mandated
   lie.  The name should originally have been "Coral Common Lisp",  and now
   might best be called "Apple Common Lisp".   Apple bought Coral, and Allegro
   never had all that much to do with it.

I won't touch the name quagmire (thank God it will be over at the end
of the year), but I will talk about tech support.  Apple currently
provides phone tech support only for Apple Partners (about $600, I
think).  I hope this will change, but large companies change slowly.
There is, however, a lab full of us in Cambridge working on
the Lisp, and we respond to queries and bug reports when we can.
There is also a mailing list of other Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp
users.  Please send to these lists rather than posting to comp.lang.lisp.

·················@cambridge.apple.com     Mail here to be added to the list
········@cambridge.apple.com              Report bugs here

Bill St. Clair
····@cambridge.apple.com
From: Paul Snively
In article <·················@brazil.cambridge.apple.com>
····@cambridge.apple.com (Bill St. Clair) writes:
> Apple currently
> provides phone tech support only for Apple Partners (about $600, I
> think).  I hope this will change, but large companies change slowly.

Uh... sorry, Bill, but this isn't accurate on a couple of points.

Apple Partners don't get phone support from MacDTS; if they did we'd
literally be on the phone all day (8000 Partners vs. about 35 MacDTS
engineers).  What they do get is AppleLink access to us.

Secondly, as the MacDTS engineer primarily responsible for MACL support, I
can assure you that I'm doing my best to support pre-Apple MACL owners,
rather than leave them in the "Sorry, but you're not an Apple Partner"
vacuum.  Of course, you guys in Cambridge have been a _phenomenal_ help
with the support effort.

Thanks for passing along the mailing lists; now let's get this off of
comp.lang.lisp.

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

1st Choice: ················@gateway.qm.apple.com
2nd Choice: ·········@applelink.apple.com
Last Choice: ·····@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.
From: Chetty Ramanathan
>I couldn't reach Coral, and Apple said they aren't
>supporting Allegro!  Does anyone have a number to call
>for tech support for Allegro?

They were bought by Apple. Their office is at Cambridge, Mass. (617)873-0700
I think you can mail bugs/questions to ·········@cambridge.apple.com.

--
				-ra
C.Ramanathan                                      |