From: Stephen Adams
Subject: Re: AKCL SAVE problems
Recently I posted a message asking for help with the SAVE function in
AKCL.  SAVE seemed to just exit with exit code 1.  David Binger
<······@edu.uiuc.cs.a> seemed to have the same problem:

   I am also puzzled by this, but I have had some success saving akcl
   on SUNOS4.? on a sparcstation.

   It seems to work if and only if the image that you are running
   is in the same directory it was in when you saved it.

   I'm not really sure about that, but it definitely seems to
   have something to do with the pathname to the image.

In case there are others out there with similar problems, I am posting
the reply that I sent to David.
----------
I have now figured it out:

When kcl SAVEs it copies the orginal image file which is argv[0] (or
(system:argv 0) in lisp)  This means that:

   1.  argv[0] must be an absolute path name or the original image
       must be in the current directory.

   2.  You need read permission on the image.

The recommended way to achieve (1) is to use the kcl shell script that
lives in <wherever>/unixport/ .  This should invoke kcl using absolute
pathnames:

    #
    /<full-pathname>/saved_kcl <directory-containing-cmpinclude.h>/

My problems arose because

   (a) on hp the kcl command was a symbolic link called "kcl" to
       /.../saved_kcl so kcl was looking for "kcl" in the current
       directory.

   (b) on the sun4 it was installed correctly but the permissions
       where r-x--x--x which means that kcl couldnt open the binary to
       copy it

I hope this helps.  You were right about it being the pathname.

Stephen Adams                        ·······@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                     ·······@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)
Southampton S09 5NH, UK              ·······@sot-ecs.uucp    (uucp)