From: lawrence.g.mayka
Subject: X11 Server implementation in Common Lisp (on TIs, perhaps?)
As you may know, the only X11 graphics server available (to my
knowledge) for Symbolics workstations is a port from MIT's original
C implementation.  This server is rather large and rather
sluggish.  At the Symbolics Lisp Users Group Conference last week,
Ken Sinclair of Symbolics said that although a coming upgrade from
X11R3 to X11R4 will help somewhat, more dramatic improvement would
require a rewrite of the server code in Common Lisp.  Symbolics, he
said, has no plans for such a rewrite, due to other priorities,
lack of demand, etc.  Mr. Sinclair suggested, though, that
Symbolics might be willing to adapt TI's X11 Server implementation
(presumably written in Common Lisp) if TI releases it for free
commercial use.

So my question is whether TI's X11 Server is indeed a complete
rewrite in Common Lisp.  If so, I wonder if TI would consider
releasing it or at least licensing it to Symbolics for a very
reasonable fee?

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	ยทยทยท@iexist.att.com