From: Raymond Fink
Subject: problem with HP Lisp Application Environment ?
I'm having a problem trying to run Flavors in the HP Common Lisp II
applications environment (lisp-ae). We have code that was compiled (and
running fine) in the development environment (lisp-de), but when we
load the compiled files into lisp-ae, we cannot create instances (or
compile a flavor) because the compiler is apparently unavailable in
lisp-ae.  Obviously, it's hard to believe that the lisp-ae would be
useless for object-oriented programming; HP and Lucid (the lisp OEM)
have been no help so far.

Since my customer on the project went out and bought several copies of
lisp-ae to run the application we developed, they are not too impressed
at the moment.  Neither am I, for that matter.  Has anybody out there
seen this problem, and more importantly, does anybody know the way to
solve it?  (BTW the HP Lisp version is Rev A.02.15)

Thanks for any clues (e-mail is best),

Ray Fink -- Idaho National Engineering Laboratory -- Idaho Falls ID
	···@inel.gov			208-526-9323

Neither the United States Government nor the Idaho National
Engineering Laboratory nor any of their employees, makes any warranty,
expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility
for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information,
product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not
infringe privately owned rights.  Reference herein to any specific
commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark
manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect
those of the United States Government nor the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement
purposes.
From: Eric Benson
Subject: Re: problem with HP Lisp Application Environment ?
In article <····················@inel.gov>, ···@INEL.GOV (Raymond Fink) writes:
> I'm having a problem trying to run Flavors in the HP Common Lisp II
> applications environment (lisp-ae). We have code that was compiled (and
> running fine) in the development environment (lisp-de), but when we
> load the compiled files into lisp-ae, we cannot create instances (or
> compile a flavor) because the compiler is apparently unavailable in
> lisp-ae.  Obviously, it's hard to believe that the lisp-ae would be
> useless for object-oriented programming; HP and Lucid (the lisp OEM)
> have been no help so far.
>
> Since my customer on the project went out and bought several copies of
> lisp-ae to run the application we developed, they are not too impressed
> at the moment.  Neither am I, for that matter.  Has anybody out there
> seen this problem, and more importantly, does anybody know the way to
> solve it?  (BTW the HP Lisp version is Rev A.02.15)
>
> Thanks for any clues (e-mail is best),

Sorry we hadn't responded to your request yet; we just received it a
couple of days ago.  It's hard to be sure without having a test case,
but it is likely that the problem is that the Flavors system is trying
to compile your methods.  The variable
flavors:*flavor-compile-methods* controls this behavior.  It is
supposed to be T in the development environment and NIL in the
application environment.  If it is set to T the undefined function
COMPILE will be called in the application environment.  If this is not
your problem, please let me know.

··@lucid.com 	           	 	Eric Benson
415/329-8400 x5523                      Lucid, Inc.
Telex 3791739 LUCID                     707 Laurel Street
Fax 415/329-8480                        Menlo Park, CA 94025