From: Mikel Evins
Subject: High-performance lisps
I am soliciting opinions in preparation to buy a new machine
and a Lisp implementation. Here are my particulars:

I will be spending in the ballpark of $30K.
We would prefer Common Lisp; a sufficiently attractive
Scheme implementation might work, though.
We need a very fast new machine to act as an eval server,
running a rather large program that we have developed in
Common Lisp. We need TCP/IP or AppleTalk compatibility
and very good IO performance.
Although attractive, a nice interface on the new machine is
not critical.

The new machine will be acting as a master to a group of Macintoshes,
driving a knowledge-based testing application that controls the
target machines, emulating hte actions of a user. I/O matters because
we are looking for the maximum number of targets possible.

Some specific questions:
Is there a decent Lisp on the RS/6000 series from IBM? If so,
what does it cost and how does it perform?

I hear good things about Lucid's Delivery Toolkit; would anyone care
to comment? How is the Lucid product on, say, a Decstation 3100?

Is anyone still buying Medley from Xerox, and, if so, what is its
performance like? How about its price?

Please mail your replies to me; if there is sufficient interest, I
will post a summary. I would love to see Gabriel benchmarks on any
machine that is roughly in the price range I mentioned. I am also
interested in peoples' subjective opinions about working with the
various Lisps.

Thanks in advance,
--me
From: Mark Ahlenius
Subject: Re: High-performance lisps
·····@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:

>I am soliciting opinions in preparation to buy a new machine
>and a Lisp implementation. Here are my particulars:

>I will be spending in the ballpark of $30K.
>We would prefer Common Lisp; a sufficiently attractive
>Scheme implementation might work, though.
>We need a very fast new machine to act as an eval server,
>running a rather large program that we have developed in
>Common Lisp. We need TCP/IP or AppleTalk compatibility
>and very good IO performance.
>Although attractive, a nice interface on the new machine is
>not critical.

>The new machine will be acting as a master to a group of Macintoshes,
>driving a knowledge-based testing application that controls the
>target machines, emulating hte actions of a user. I/O matters because
>we are looking for the maximum number of targets possible.

>Some specific questions:

Mikel,

There is a new machine on the block that you might want to look into.
Its made by Motorola COmputer Div. and is an 88K based RISC machine
which runs UNIX Sys V.  It has ethernet capabilities and I have
seen demos of systems which connect Mac's to these units for
file sharing and the like.

One of our groups has had a powerful version of Scheme and Prolog
ported over to the unit - which if not already available now,
should be very soon.

I'd be glad to talk to you about it (no I am NOT a sales person)
I'm just a lowly development engineer in cellular.  We have recently
acquired a dual 88K version of this box and will be using it as
an AI type platform with NCD X-window servers connected to it.'

If you either call me or email your phone number to me, I would
be glad to have the guy from the lab that had the AI languages
ported over - give you a call.

in either case, good luck.`

	'mark

--
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm