From: ··········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Subject: PCL problems under MACL 1.3.1
I have been having troubles compiling the Victoria Day version of PCL under
MACL 1.3.1.  It is documented to have been tested under MACL 1.2.2.  Has
anyone else had such problems?  Better yet, will going after a newer release
help?

- Perry
(··········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu)
From: Robert Dominy
Subject: Re: PCL problems under MACL 1.3.1
In article <··············@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
··········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> I have been having troubles compiling the Victoria Day version of PCL
under
> MACL 1.3.1.  It is documented to have been tested under MACL 1.2.2.  Has
> anyone else had such problems?  Better yet, will going after a newer
release
> help?

This problem is identified in Mac Tech. Note number 231.  Following is from
that note:

If you have the Victoria-Day release of PCL, the following changes to the
source code allow it to compile successfully under MACL 1.3.1:

In file defsys.lisp:

Find the defvar for *pcl-directory*.  Within it, find the conditional for
MACL (#+:coral).  Change the pathname parameter to point to your PCL
folder (e.g., "ccl;PCL:").  Also find the let of files-renamed and change
its binding to nil.

In file coral-low.lisp:

Comment out both the ccl::add-transform and its inline proclamation.
Neither is helpful in 1.3.1 (in fact, the add-transform is broken with
respect to 1.3.1).

In file fin.lisp:

Immediately before the closing R); End of #+:coralS that you find near the
end of the file, add:

(defun print-uvector-object (obj stream &optional print-level)
  (declare (ignore print-level))
  (print-object obj stream))

(pushnew (cons 'ccl::funcallable-instance #'print-uvector-object)
         ccl:*write-uvector-alist* :test #'equal)

In addition to these code changes, there are some environmental settings
that are useful or necessary when compiling Victoria-Day PCL.  You should
use the following settings:

(setq *WARN-IF-REDEFINE-KERNEL* nil)
(setq *COMPILER-WARNINGS* nil)
(setq *FASL-COMPILER-WARNINGS* nil)
(setq *FAST-EVAL* nil)

These settings eliminate loads of warnings that you would otherwise get
when compiling or loading PCL.  In particular, you must bind or assign nil
to *FAST-EVAL* for the file test.lisp to load correctly.

Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center