From: Stan C. Kwasny
Subject: Genealogy of LISP Languages
I once saw a diagram that gave the genealogy of the lisp family of languages.
I remember it from some years ago, but was impressed with how many different
dialects there were and how many strains of development were going on in
parallel.  I have looked at the McCarthy article in SIGPLAN from 1978
and everywhere else I thought I might have seen it, but cannot find it.

Has anyone done a current picture showing the genealogy of lisp?
The one I remember may have been part of a vendor's presentation,
but certainly didn't show the present threads of scheme and CL.
Perhaps one exists in a textbook or historical article somewhere.

My reason for asking is I would like to use it in a class
to convey how much effort goes into developing a mature language,
especially when there have been 30 years to think about it.

Thank you.

Stan C. Kwasny
Department of Computer Science
Washington University
Campus Box 1045, Bryan 509
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO  63130-4899
···@wucs1.wustl.edu
(314) 889-6123
From: Walter Maner
Subject: Re: Genealogy of LISP Languages
Stan Kwasny writes:
> Has anyone done a current picture showing the genealogy of lisp?

Richard Wexelblat, _History of Programming Languages_, has a fairly
complete geneaology for many languages (including Lisp) inside the
front cover.  It starts with Lisp(1), ends with LPL, and shows
IPL II and IPL V as related languages.

--

InterNet ·····@andy.bgsu.edu  (129.1.1.2)    | BGSU, Comp Science Dept
UUCP     ... ! osu-cis ! bgsuvax ! maner     | Bowling Green, OH 43403