From: Mark Weissman
Subject: Allegro Composer vs SUN SPE
Hello,

	Is there anyone out there using Allegro Composer or SUN SPE.
I need to choose fairly quickly between these or some other
lisp development environment running on a SUN sparkstation.  I'll be
happy to post a summary of responses.

Thanks,
Mark Weissman
········@bunny.gte.com
From: Ed THARP
Subject: Re: Allegro Composer vs SUN SPE
In article <····@bunny.GTE.COM> ····@GTE.COM (Mark Weissman) writes:
>Hello,
>
>	Is there anyone out there using Allegro Composer or SUN SPE.
>I need to choose fairly quickly between these or some other
>lisp development environment running on a SUN sparkstation.  I'll be
>happy to post a summary of responses.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Weissman
>········@bunny.gte.com

I used to work for a company tried SPE.  The drawback then was you had to
use Sunview and wasn't overly impressive to the ex-Symbolics hackers.  We
wanted to develop GUIs and preferred X Window System.  Then we got Composer
and thought it was great.  It ran under X and had a reasonable programming
environment but wasn't object-orientated.

Finally, we hit upon Harlequin's Lispworks after seeing them at IJCAI at
Detroit.  Lispworks is CLUE based with an excellent development environment.
The drawback is that it is a relatively new system and some of the finer
points, like extensive documentation, isn't there yet, but I have found them
to be very cooperative and willing to incoporate new (your) ideas.  I have
forgotten their address, but I know Chris Richardson of Harlequin reads this
group.

All of these development environments are going to have a bit of trouble
running in 8 meg. and would prefer at least 16.  One final note, my
experiences are probably a little dated.  New releases occur frequently, so
you'll have to check out the latest.

Ed Tharp
* Edward Tharp ...!uunet!microsoft!edt                                     *
* I have a deal; I don't speak for my company and they don't speak for me. *