From: Scott Platenberg
Subject: new Lispers
  Over a week ago I posted a request for advice for new Lisp users.  Here
is a summary of the letters I received:
  BOOKS:
    The Little Lisper,Friedman - recommended as a good introduction
    Lisp - 3rd Edition, Winston and Horn - a little more advanced but
                 still a good learning book
    Common Lisp the Language(2nd Ed.), Steele - the definitive reference guide
    Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Abelson and Sussman -
                 uses the Scheme dialect of Lisp, recommended as a very good
                 introductory text for computer science

  PROGRAMS:
    Xlisp 2.0 or 2.1 if available (available on BBS's) - public domain
    PC-LISP - also available on BBS's
    Golden Common Lisp (Student Edition) - about $80 US from Gold Hill
                 Computers at (800) 242-LISP, highly recommended by many
    PC-Scheme 3.03 from Texas Instruments - about $95 US (scheme dialect)
    Franz Lisp - ????

 These programs are all under $100 US, I received other info regarding high
end programs (>1000).
 I hope this info helps other beginners.

 Thanks very much to: Jeff Van Voorhis, Lawrence G. Mayka, Chris Sterritt,
Mucit, and Florian Reichl.

Scott
······@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com