From: Hallvard Traetteberg
Subject: CLOS Meta-Object Protocol
In "Common Lisp, The Language", 2nd edition, Steele writes:

"The protocol for defining metaclasse is discussed in the third part of the
CLOS specification, The Common Lisp Object System Meta-Object Protocol.
[The third part has not yet been approved by X3J13 for inclusion in the
forthcoming Common Lisp standard and is not included in this book,-GLS]"

Although the Meta-Object Protocol isn't approved yet, there should be some
information around, describing the suggested protocol. If anyone knows where
to get such information I would be pleased if they sent an answer to this
article, either directly as mail or to this newsgroup. I am interested in
*any* information whatsoever (we're about to start using CLOS and would like
to fully understand it). Thanks!

			- haltraet
			student at the Norwegian Institute of Technology,
			Trondheim, Norway.

--

                                       - haltraet (@idt.unit.no)
From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: CLOS Meta-Object Protocol
In article <······················@idt.unit.no> ········@sigyn.idt.unit.no
(Hallvard Traetteberg) writes:
[...]
>Although the Meta-Object Protocol isn't approved yet, there should be some
>information around, describing the suggested protocol. If anyone knows where
>to get such information I would be pleased if they sent an answer to this
>article [...]

The latest draft on the Meta-Object Protocol, dated July 30, 1990, is
available via anonymous FTP from arisia.xerox.com. Both TeX and PostScript
versions are available in /pcl/mop. The document, by Kiczales and Bobrow,
emphasizes that it is only a draft.

Also, I have a copy of a letter covering a very informal agreement among
several LISP/CLOS vendors, covering a subset of the Meta-Object Protocol
they consider relatively stable and expect to be available in their
implementations of CLOS. My understanding is that this is in no way any
official position of anybody, but just a consensus on what they expect people
will be able to see and use in most versions of CLOS. These functions cover
the "introspective" (listing slots, etc) portions of the mop, and mostly
not the "customization" parts. This subset of the mop appears to be
working in Symbolics CLOS, and I've heard that it is in Lucid's also,
but I'm not sure that either make any promises about it. I'm not sure whether
this is available via FTP anywhere (JonL White at Lucid provided me a copy),
and I hate to post something that long if it is not of general interest, but
I would be happy to email this to anyone who is interested.

					- Marty Hall
····@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, ···········@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030