From: GEOFF WOODS
Subject: Common Lisp
Does anyone know of a version of Common Lisp for an IBM PC XT. This information
will greatly help me in studying the Knowledge Engineering course.

From: James Brister
Subject: Re: Common Lisp
On 6 Aug 90 12:21:18 GMT,
······@insted.unimelb.edu.au (GEOFF WOODS) said:

> Does anyone know of a version of Common Lisp for an IBM PC XT. This
> information will greatly help me in studying the Knowledge Engineering
> course.

Free? If so, I don't know. Otherwise, there's Golden Common Lisp. It has a
close connection to Winston and Horne of MIT. I think there's a cut-rate
student edition. Check out their book on LISP--it mentions GCL inside the
back cover.

James
--
James Brister                                           ·······@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab.                                 .....!decwrl!brister
From: Jeffrey Jacobs
XLISP 2.x is a decent subset of Common LISP that is usable on an XT.
It is readily available from CIS, BIX and many BBS'.

There is also Sapphire Common LISP, which, last time I reviewed it, was
about $100.  Unfortunately, I don't have an address handy and the
product itself is in storage.

-JJ
From: Giovanni Moretti
Geoff
I asked a similar question a week or so ago (I want to run OPS5 on a
PC) and have received only pointers to Golden Lisp.

One reply however did mention XLISP which is based on Common lisp and
has object oriented extensions.  I managed to get OPS5 to load ok
 - after much hacking - common lisp has things in it that wheren't
there when I last used lisp :-(, but unfortunately it doesn't run OK.

You can get a version of XLISP (for PC, amiga, mac & unix) from a
site with an FTP number of 128.193.32.1.  I didn't write the name
down but found it by searching the list of sites that'll accept
anonymous FTP requests and looking for LISP.  The version there is #2
which is later than that at CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU which has version
#1.7.  It has lots of documentation and seems like rather a nice system.

Hope this is useful
Giovanni

|   GIOVANNI MORETTI, Consultant     | EMail: ·········@massey.ac.nz          |
|Computer Centre,  Massey University | Ph 64 63 69099 x8398, FAX 64 63 505607 |
|   Palmerston North, New Zealand    | QUITTERS NEVER WIN, WINNERS NEVER QUIT |