From: Stephen Nicoud
Subject: Lisp binaries on Sun
Can lisp binary files produced by Sun/Lucid Common Lisp (.lbin) on Sun
Workstations be loaded in either the SunOS 3.5 or 4.0 versions of
lisp regardless of which SunOS they were compiled under?

We have some Suns running 3.5 and others 4.0.  We'd like to share the
lisp binary files, if possible.  We haven't run into any problems
doing this, but were wondering if it was kosher or not.  Is there any
reason we shouldn't be doing this?

What about Franz's Allegro Common Lisp?

Thanks,

Steve

--
Stephen L. Nicoud  <·······@atc.boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Advanced Technology Center for Computer Sciences

From: Charles A. Cox
Subject: Re: Lisp binaries on Sun
In article <·····@bcsaic.UUCP> ·······@bcsaic.UUCP (Stephen Nicoud) writes:

   We have some Suns running 3.5 and others 4.0.  We'd like to share the
   lisp binary files, if possible.  We haven't run into any problems
   doing this, but were wondering if it was kosher or not.  Is there any
   reason we shouldn't be doing this?

   What about Franz's Allegro Common Lisp?

The lisp binary files (also known as fasl files) from Allegro CL are
independent of the underlying Operating System.  Therefore, it is
completely kosher to build a fasl file on, say, Allegro CL 3.1 running
on SunOS 4.0 and then use it in an Allegro CL 3.1 running on SunOS 3.5.

	Charley
--
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
From: Eric Benson
In article <·····@bcsaic.UUCP>, ·······@bcsaic.UUCP (Stephen Nicoud) writes:

> Can lisp binary files produced by Sun/Lucid Common Lisp (.lbin) on Sun
> Workstations be loaded in either the SunOS 3.5 or 4.0 versions of
> lisp regardless of which SunOS they were compiled under?
>
> We have some Suns running 3.5 and others 4.0.  We'd like to share the
> lisp binary files, if possible.  We haven't run into any problems
> doing this, but were wondering if it was kosher or not.  Is there any
> reason we shouldn't be doing this?

Compiled Lisp binary files in Sun Common Lisp are independent of the
operating system release.  As long as you are using the same Lisp
release on both systems, there should be no problem.

··@lucid.com 	           	 	Eric Benson
415/329-8400 x5523                      Lucid, Inc.
Telex 3791739 LUCID                     707 Laurel Street
Fax 415/329-8480                        Menlo Park, CA 94025