From: David Brownell
Subject: Distributed Systems/Languages in LISP
The recent query about LISPs talking to one another via TCP got me
wondering.  If it's so hard to find a SunRPC implementation in LISP, is
it just as hard to get other distributed systems tools for a lisp
environment?

My motive in asking is that I want a good environment to experiment
with distributed systems ideas.  LISP seems to me to be a very good
platform since:  (a) it's easy to convert data to program; (b) there's
a long history of LISP programs communicating internally by passing
messages, and of blackboard systems; (c) it's got a powerful object
environment in CLOS; (d) linguistic abstractions are easy to build; and
(e) LISP hackers seem to like parallelism and large systems, both of
which are abundantly common in loosely coupled systems.

So my questions are:  What sort of distributed systems tools are
available in LISP?  What sort of systems get built?  Where?  There have
to be some major examples that I'm just unaware of since I've not done
LISP in far too long.

David Brownell			ยทยท@east.sun.com.
Sun Desktop Systems Software	(508) 671-0348
"We'll get to ISO, Mars, and Pluto ... not necessarily in that order."