From: Robert R. Kessler
Subject: Workshop on Parallel Implementation of Languages for Symbolic Computation
                          CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
			  ----------------------

				WORKSHOP
				   ON
                   PARALLEL IMPLEMENTATION OF LANGUAGES
			FOR SYMBOLIC COMPUTATIONS

			 July 30-31, Eugene
			University of Oregon

Parallel Implementations of languages like LISP, Prolog, STRAND, Linda,
and several other are approaching certain maturity.  A few systems can
already be considered of production quality, and some are even
commercially available.  A lot of excellent results have been obtained in
more or less disjoint communities. The problems attacked and the solutions
obtained by different groups have very much in common, and yet a lot of
effort is duplicated.  We intend to bring together researchers from
different ends of the field, in order to share and discuss our results.

Presentations and discussions are invited on the following topics:

	- Explicit versus implicit parallelism
	- Programming for efficiency
	- Data dependency analysis
	- Automatic parallelisation
	- Grain analysis
	- Speculative computations
	- Scheduling and load balancing
	- Shared- versus distributed-memory implementations
	- Memory management
	- Performance measurements
	- Benchmarks
	- "Real" applications

Suggestions for other topics are welcome.

Program Outline
---------------
We plan to start with two or more tutorials to create a common ground for
all participants. That will be followed by presentations, discussions and,
possibly demonstrations (we have access to a Sequent/Symmetry and a
Hypercube).   The details of the program will depend on your response.

If you plan to participate please provide the following information:

	- name
	- e-mail address
	- phone number
	- title of your presentation/your main interests
	- long abstract (by July 1)

to one of the organizers listed below.

The participation in the workshop is free.
No meals, except for coffee and doughnuts, will be provided.

Andrzej Ciepielewski, SMU Dallas (on leave from SICS/Sweden) (214) 692 3716
·······@smu.edu

Bob Kessler, University of Utah
·······@cs.utah.edu

Evan Tick, University of Oregon (503) 3463973
····@cs.uoregon.edu

John Conery, University of Oregon (503) 346 4436
······@cs.uoregon.edu

About Eugene
------------
Eugene, Oregon is a small university town with an airport,
inexpensive hotels, good hiking and beautiful summer weather.

Sample of hotels:
Eugene Hilton (503-683-3669): downtown, 20 min walk from CIS building,
group rate: single $58, double = $68.

New Oregon (Best Western) (503-683-3669), across street from CIS building,
standard rate: single = $41, double = $53.

Accomodation in students dorms may be possible --- please
inquire about this by early July so we can work on it.

Please DISTRIBUTE to others who could be interested !!!