From: Walter Peterson
Subject: OOPSLA '89 Birds-of-a-Feather Session
I have received 18 e-mail messages and a number of personal contacts
for the birds-of-a-feather session that I proposed for OOPSLA'89.
This gives us a total of at least 25 people. Since most people
indicated that a good session should have between 10 and 30 we should
have a good turnout.

The majority indicated that Wednesday was the best choice with Tuesday
comming in second.  I'll get to the organizers first thing Monday and
reserve a room for Wedensday evening.  A few people expressed concern
that the vendor reception was also Wed.  As I recall from San Diego
last year, the vendor reception was nice, but no big deal (hors
d'overs, munchies, wine and soft-drinks, etc.).

A few people also noted that there might also be BOF sessions on
OODBMSs, C++, etc. Great! This BOF is not really intended to take the
place of any of those.  It is more for the purpose of getting together
to see some of the faces behind the postings and getting to know each
other better. If anyone was planning to set up a BOF on some other hot
net topic, by all means, go ahead, don't feel that this BOF is
pre-empting it in any way.  People tend to drift in and out of these
sessions anyway and having more than one session at a time might
produce some interesting cross-polination.

While the style of BOF is very informal, some of the suggested topics
were: OO design, OODBMS, C++ books, prototyping, garbage collection
and personal experience using or implementing OOPS.

Since this was posted to a number of news groups, I'll have the BOF
session listed as a USENET session. Look for the time and room number
on one of the notice boards at the conference.

See you all in New Orleans.

--
Walt Peterson.  Prime - San Diego R&D (Object and Data Management Group)
"The opinions expressed here are my own."