From: thomas.wolf
Subject: Is there such a thing as gnu lisp?
I'm looking for an inexpensive lisp or prolog for my '386 UNIX box.  Is there
any GNU or pd software out there that fits that description?

Any help would be appreciated,

Tom

--
+---------------+-----------------------------+  I don't remember,
+---------------+-----------------------------+  Of anything at all. P. Gabriel

From: Steve Ritacco
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as gnu lisp?
>/ hpdml93:comp.lang.lisp / ····@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) /  6:37 am  Sep 13, 1989 /
>
>I'm looking for an inexpensive lisp or prolog for my '386 UNIX box.  Is there
>any GNU or pd software out there that fits that description?
>
>Any help would be appreciated,
>
>Tom

There is a lisp that is part of gnu emacs (not a real lisp).
But GNU distributes "T" lisp from Yale university which is
a dialect of scheme.

Hope that is some help.
From: ···@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk
>/ hpdml93:comp.lang.lisp / ····@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) /  6:37 am  Sep 13, 1989 /
>
>I'm looking for an inexpensive lisp or prolog for my '386 UNIX box.  Is there
>any GNU or pd software out there that fits that description?
>
>Any help would be appreciated,
>
>Tom

Depending on what you wish to use the lisp for, you could use the lisp part of
GNUemacs. We needed a lisp for four weeks of a `computer languages' course,
which could be run on our HP system. A colleague and I spent an afternoon
knocking up some emacs code which would enable a lisp buffer to be used as a
standard read-eval-print system. Since emacs is an editor, command editing
and recall was a doddle, as was saving `defuns' to file.

The undergraduates used it for the course and their main complaint was the
time it took to get into it. They were not using emacs as the standard editor
for the course, so every time they wanted to make a complicated edit to a
function, they would have to leave emacs, use their editor and then go back
into emacs to test it. If you were using emacs as an editor, you could stay
in there the whole time and not have to come out. They also complained
about the editing keys (CTRL-A for start of line, etc.) again probably
because of unfamiliarity with emacs. The lecturer seemed quite happy about
using the lisp to set problems, but it was a beginner's course (no property
lists, etc.) so it wasn't pushed too far!

Hope this is of some use, or gives you some ideas.

Ian Finch              Janet: ···@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
---------              Internet: ····················@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                       UUCP: ················@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
What's a word processor? Well, you know what a food processor does to food ...