From: Brad Miller
Subject: Re: Symbolics co-processor board for the Sparcstation-1 ?
    In article <·····················@cs.rochester.edu> ······@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) writes:

    >2) The Sparcstation-1 has NO bus whatsoever. Where would you plug an
    >embedded Ivory in? The serial port? :-)

    No bus?  This is going to come as a *big* surprise to an awful lot of
    people.  I wonder where they've been connecting their color
    framebuffers...

    The SPARCstation 1 has a perfectly good bus.  It's called the S-bus.
    There are three connectors inside the box for S-bus cards.  These
    cards need to be roughly 3" by 5", so fitting a Lispm onto one would
    be a pretty impressive feat of engineering.

Yep, I misspoke on this one; I just found out there is a proprietary bus for
I/O devices. (Which of course one *could* treat the ivory as, but it would
lose performance wise). I'm amazed; the physical dimensions of the
Sparcstation don't look like it could handle anything of the sort... On it
being proprietary; has Sun published it's specs yet? Anyway, as Hank points
out, obviously existing technology would make a 3"x5" card hard to do, esp.
since one would either have to have local 40bit memory, or a cache to allow
the local processor to get 40bits doing 32bit fetches over the S-bus. I
don't think it would fit but maybe next generation :-)
From: Barry Margolin
Regarding a Symbolics co-processor that fits on the Sparcstation-1's S-bus:

In article <·····················@cs.rochester.edu> ······@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) writes:
>obviously existing technology would make a 3"x5" card hard to do, esp.
>since one would either have to have local 40bit memory, or a cache to allow
>the local processor to get 40bits doing 32bit fetches over the S-bus. I
>don't think it would fit but maybe next generation :-)

It shouldn't be TOO long before it's possible.  That's only about a
third the size of a Macintosh II NuBus card, and Symbolics has an
Ivory card that fits there.  And they've already dealt with the
problem of accessing memory in 48-bit chunks (don't forget the ECC)
over a 32-bit bus in the MacIvory.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com