From: Marion Hakanson
Subject: CL+X node grapher?
In an attempt to assist in visualizing (and debugging) some rather
hairy data structures, I'm looking for a simple node-grapher package
for Common LISP, to display using the X Window System.  I have access
to Sun CL 3.0, and X11R3, and can retrieve whatever pieces of software
I need (CLX, CLOS, CLUE, etc.) via FTP.  What I lack is money, and the
time and desire to write for myself what someone else may already have
done, or have experience using.

More specifically, I at least need to be able to draw labelled boxes
with arrows going among them -- i.e. a directed graph of some kind.
If one were also able to click on said boxes or arcs with a mouse and
have an association signalled back to LISP somehow, that would be even
nicer.  Higher level functionality would be even more desirable to me,
but anything which would allow me to avoid mucking about with X11
primitives (i.e. implementing my own toolkits & widgets) would be
greatly appreciated.

You will note that I've focussed on CL and X, in the hopes of finding
a generic and non-proprietary solution, but pointers to (and
experiences with) working and/or proprietary software (and prices)
would also be welcome.  Thanks.

--
Marion Hakanson         Domain: ········@cse.ogc.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!ogccse!hakanson

From: Mott Given
Subject: Re: CL+X node grapher?
From article <····@ogccse.ogc.edu>, by ········@ogccse.ogc.edu (Marion Hakanson)
> In an attempt to assist in visualizing (and debugging) some rather
> hairy data structures, I'm looking for a simple node-grapher package
> for Common LISP, to display using the X Window System.  I have access

   Dave Touretzky at CMU has a couple free programs he is distributing that
   will do what you are looking for.  I don't believe it uses or needs
   X Windows.  The programs were written for Golden Common Lisp.

   His e-mail address is ··············@cs.cmu.edu.

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002
From: Dave Touretzky
Mott Given posted some misinformation that has caused people to send
me mail about non-existent software I'm supposed to be giving away.

I don't have a general purpose node grapher.  Sorry.

What I do have is a program that draws cons cell trees, and can act as
a read-eval-draw loop for teaching beginning Lispers to think in terms
of cons structures rather than parentheses.  The software accompanies my
book, Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation.  Versions
are available for Lucid, Allegro, Golden Common Lisp (versions 1 and 3),
CMU Common Lisp, and generic Common Lisp.  Some versions use CLX; some
versions use the IBM PC graphic character set; the generic version just
uses ASCII characters to draw the trees.

The software is available on 5.25 inch DOS diskette, free, from the publisher.
Contact the Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Redwood City, CA.  You
can also FTP it by the following method:

  - open an FTP connection to B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
  - log in as user "anonymous" any password
  - cd DIRECTLY, IN ONE STEP, to /usr/dst/public/lisp
  - grab the README file and anything else you want

Have fun.

-- Dave